The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the ballast that came with my pendant. It works. It's the first MH I've ever seen, and it shines like the sun.

Here's the 150W version from the company everyone raves about. Icecap.

It's being sold HERE for about $150, I haven't looked into shipping.

I want to do this right, but I can think of about 75 other things I could do with $150. I have a used ARO ballast that I got cheap off eBay 'as is', but haven't wired it up to see if it works.

I've seen a comparison somewhere of several lights and ballasts, but it may have been a little skewed. It showed a slight increase in light when the odyssea ballast was replaced, and a dramatic increase once the bulb was replaced. I don't know how the odyssea compares with a quality bulb hooked up to it.

Does anyone have exp with odyssea's ELECTRONIC ballast, and how does it stack up?

I've also read:"I just replaced my dead odyssea ballast with an new Icecap, and WOW!", but that just makes me wonder how a dead Icecap ballast would stack up to a new icecap ballast...

your thoughts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I"ll wait until this one stops, or I may give the used ARO a try once I find some extra time.

Send me your $5 now. They are definitely not the same ballast.
So I'll look into a higher dollar ballast once this one stops, but I would like someone to tell me that they know these aren't the same ballasts. 'cause I tell you what... they sure look the like they are.

I'm curious if anyone has any pictures of a 150W Icecap that's been opened up. I'll show you mine...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are getting adequate light right now, save your cash for later.
I don't know if I'm getting adequate light now. I don't really know what it should look like. It is bright though. I haven't gotten anything planted yet. I ordered a sunsun (I'm a sucker for a cheap knock off. I try to keep startup costs low with my hobbies, and if i'm still at it by the time things start breaking, I can then feel better about parting with my money for higher quality things), and haven't yet received the replacement for the first one that arrived with broken baskets. I'm not worried yet though. I haven't read a review about it yet that was negative.

here's the tank:

20X18X30

·
Registered
126 Posts
thats the same tank i have, got a nova extreme 6x18watt on it now but looking to up grade to a 150 mh also.its a 47 gallon btw.need a lot of flow for circulation.this person did a very nice scape ,go to tanks and search 47 nick name is attack11

1 - 10 of 10 Posts