The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the hobby for over 50 years, having had freshwater, and saltwater fish only, and reef tanks. But, I've never had a shrimp tank before. I've been reading everything I can find and I've subscribed to about a dozen channels on YT, and watched many dozens of videos to gain a basic knowledge of shrimp keeping.

With that said...I'm looking to start with Neos, most likely Gold Back Yellow Shrimp to go in a tank with Black Diamond Blasting Media as the substrate. I have available a homemade AIO tank of about 12 gallons. It has overflow slots at the top left and a few situated about mid-height, also on the left, with the return nozzle on the right. I'm thinking that having an AIO might be a bad idea in general for shrimp due to them possibly being able to get into the filtration area. I could put sponges there, but if they do happen to get blocked, the tank will definitely overflow the top. Another option, would be to silicone some acrylic over the 3 openings in the back wall, and just leave the back totally without any water in it. Not a permanent modification, but turning the tank into a "regular" tank. Any thoughts on AIO's for shrimp???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Shrimp will end up anywhere they fit. I regularly find them inside my canister filter but it doesnt seem to do them any harm. When you do maintenance, just siphon out that back area/squeeze the sponges into a bucket rather than the sink and use a dip net to reclaim the escapees. I think theyd be perfectly as happy in that back area as in the main area honestly, neos are less picky than you would think as long as they have microbial growth to eat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a stainless steel mesh prefilter on intake pipe of the filter for my 10g shrimp tank. Whenever I clean out the filter, I always manage to find a few shrimp inside.

I second the idea of putting coarse sponges behind the slots to block the shrimp. Whenever you do a water change, just squeeze the sponge out to clean out any buildup and pop it back in.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Definitely just stick some coarse sponge behind the overflow slits. I kept shrimp in a fluval spec v which has the same kind of filtration but undoubtedly smaller then your tank. It worked fine for keeping the shrimp fairly under control. It is unlikely it will get clogged enough to overflow. Freshwater planted tanks just don't generate that much large waste. The snails we keep are also likely to be able to crawl out of any hole given that a planted tank should be limited to about 4-8 times turnover per hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.