The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've recently recieved a basic planted tank setup (74 gallon tank, CO2 canister, etc etc) from my cousin who gave up the hobby. I have been reading around and my water is currently being cycled with a few tetras. My only concern is the lighting. I'm going to use a hood with 4X36 watts bulbs. Which means I'll only have 1.95 WPG.

My question is, if I am only growing moss (mainly java), is there enough light for it to thrive? Also, can I have some recommandations on plants that can grow well with 1.95WPG as well.

My tank dimensions are
24 inches across the front
36 inches along the sides
20 inches deep.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. It will be a low maintanence tank consisting only of mosses, but even the pre-packaged light only gave 0.8 WPG, which meant I had to modify the hood to fit 4 instead of 2 light bulbs.

My ph is currently at 7.5. Yet to get a KH testing kit though. Anyway, for my currently lightly planted tank, with about 2 fistfuls of java moss, how many bubbles of CO2 per second should I have?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If all you are going to have is moss you really don't need CO2. But if you want CO2 then you need to inject enough to reach the 30 ppm range. And don't get hung up on bubble count. Bubble count is pretty much meaningless since there are so many variables.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erm...what is ppm? Could you provide a link to a calculator? Thanks. And I just got a KH testing kit. KH value is at 4. Are all my parameters fine?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The tank sounds like a good setup. 2 watts is great.

Get some fast growing stem plants like Rotala Indica now to start or you may have an algae problem. If you want a simple way to monitor Co2 get a red sea co2 indicator drop checker. What kind of diffuser are you using?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diffuser? You mean the thingie my co2 bubbles emerge from? Its a glass cup with spirals inside. Lol. Sorry if I'm not getting it.

My substrate consists of only black gravel. Totally no base ferts as moss can grow on wire mesh and driftwood. Which means I'm kinda restricted in my choice of plants...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts