The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community,

here, I would like to show you some of my tanks and maybe share some impressions, pictures, videos and so on. I like to think, that I learn something about nature by just observing how my tanks develop. But most of it is not about hard facts (numbers, chemistry and stuff). I try to accept that I cannot fully control or understand, what's really going on inside the water. As long as my fish are fine, I try not to mess with nature too much.

Let me start with my "High Tech"-Tank, that I usually call my "Myanmar-Tank". I started it 2 years ago.

For me, it's "High Tech", because it has dimmable LED lights and a filter. NONE of my tanks have CO2 and none of them have a heater.

Plant Plant community Green Natural landscape Rectangle

(can I reuse attachments? let's try: View attachment 903681 )

It's a 180 liter/ 47 gallon tank where I keep:
- Celestial Pearl Danios (around 30)
- Rosy loaches (around 20)
- Golden Tiger Shrimps (many)
- different kind of snails

I have successfully bred the CPDs and the rosies and unfortunately also lost some of them, so I lost count of how many they are now. Especially the CPDs are quite sensitive.
At the beginning it was hard to keep the temperatures low in the summer. I try to keep them below 25°C/77°F, but they preferrably around 20°C/68°F. To keep the water cool in the summer, my boyfriend made me an alternative aquarium lid with computer fans that ventilate the water surface. It worked quite well this year!

All the plants in the tank are easy to keep. (Not because I chose them wisely, but simply because all high-maintenance plants just died or stopped doing anything.) Let me try to name them:
- Limnophila sessiliflora,

- Valisneria spiralis,
- Nymphoides taiwan,
- Hornwort,

- Pogostemon quadrifolius,

- Najas guadalupensis (guppy gras),

- Rotala rotundifolia (newish... lets see if she makes it)
- Sagittaria subulata
- Süßwassertang (you call it Subwassertang, right? that's super-funny to me:grin2:)

- different kind of mosses
- Hydrocotyle tripartita
- Anubias nana

I really like the stem plants. Once, they have formed some roots, it's easy to make them denser by cutting the tops and adding them back into the bush.

The CPDs like to have some plants that are reaching the surface. They usually use those areas to swim all the way up and look for food. If not provided such a safe spot, they tend to stick to the lower third of the aquarium. The males are usually busy patrolling their little territories. They prefer the spots with lots of mosses and Süßwassertang. That is one reason why my tank ground is nearly fully covered with tang. It's also a good hiding place for the baby shrimps. Considering that the rosy loaches really like to hunt the baby shrimps, I still have way to many shrimp babies surviving. I regularly have to sell some of them.

More stuff, next time. (It's late in my country.)

-- Heide

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Heide, nice looking tank and great pics of the fish and shrimp. You must be doing something right if the fish are breeding for you.

Reactions: hyperheide

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey again,

thanks for your replies. I might talk more about the breeding attempts and successes at another time. But this time, I'll not write as much. I just wanted to share a video of my Myanmar-tank that I made quite a while ago. It is basically showing my beautiful CPDs dancing to classical music.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO TECH Tank

Hey fish-friends,

meet my NO TECH/Walstad TANK:
Plant Grass Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

This is a tank that might be considered a failure for different reasons. But for me, it is more an inspiration :wink2:

It is actually not really mine. My boyfriend had it custom made to fit on our window sill. The window is behind the couch and very low, so it is sometimes hard to sit in front of it, watch it or to make photos. Here are the dimensions: in cm: 130x23x25, in inch: 51x9x9.8.
The plan (of my boyfriend) was just to keep shrimps there. I think, this is actually a waste... There are probably lots of fish that would like to live in such a long tank.

Anyway. The tank does not have a filter (it used to have one, but it is switched of for quite some time now) and it does not even have light. Under the gravel there is a layer of potting soil. It can get very sunny on this side of our appartment.
The upside: the plants are growing very well. The natural light of the sun is just uncomparably beautiful :icon_bigg
The downside: algaes are covering the glass that is facing the window and are growing on top of the plants. I can easily remove two full hands full of algae every week.

So, I'm afraid that my boyfriend lost interest in this tank at some point. Maybe it was when on top of the algae the planaria appeared :|. I hope, this gives me the opportunity to change the layout a little bit. There is no real structure, no foreground, no background, no depth at all... But the plants are doing funny stuff. The marsilea hirsuta, which is supposed to be a carpeting plant, just grew very tall and reached the surface. I think she is hoping to be a water lily some day. The hornwort got red tips from all the sunlight. When the sun is shining directly into the tank, I catch myself just sitting in front of it for a veery long time. I think, the natural light is a real game changer. I attach some photos to try to convince you!!! Unfortunately, my skills in making pictures are limited, so you have to use your imagination a little bit :wink2:

I also put the fry of my ricefish in there. It's actually a perfect setup for them, since it is usually recommended to keep them with real sunlight (usually outside). But we have too many of them and started selling them. So at some point, this tank will again be fishless. But let's see....

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.