The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my blue velvets got them a few weeks ago as juvies and now they've all grown up and started to get busy ;)
Since it's their first time being berried it's forgivable but either way pretty ridiculous how some females can lose their eggs so fast.
These two were berried at the same time earlier last week.
down to two eggs, other one is still going strong LOL

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah usually when it's the first time they drop, imo it's like the first time you try something hard you'll suck at it. Then the next time you get better.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just have to ask -- where did you source them? Trying to get my hands on some.
Got them from mengyone. As a disclaimer... don't be fooled by how blue these shrimp appear in the pictures, many people post process their pictures in photoshop and a lot of time it has to do with the lighting. These shrimp are blue without a doubt and in person you can see it as so but just keep in mind lighting plays a huge factor. These pictures were taken with my 5s, unprocessed, and you can see what a difference lighting at different areas of the tank made. Beautiful shrimp still :) just needa be culled.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Those are what I like to call "Classic BV." Those are the color of BV when they were first introduced. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the Classic BV is going to be lost if everyone continues with the darker trend. I like the darker BV too, don't get me wrong. But I think Classics have a pretty look all their own. Much like BP.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are what I like to call "Classic BV." Those are the color of BV when they were first introduced. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the Classic BV is going to be lost if everyone continues with the darker trend. I like the darker BV too, don't get me wrong. But I think Classics have a pretty look all their own. Much like BP.
Thanks for the info! I like the color of the Classic BV but I want to get a more consistent coloration. I noticed that some are definitely more clear than the others so rather than the get to 100 cull to 20 method you suggested on another thread I'll just gradually cull the clearer ones to get more consistent coloration. Will take longer but I think itll work for what I'm doing. DBV look great too though! certainly adds a nice electric blue splash among oebt and blue diamonds.
I think you set that trend towards dbv's LOL :icon_lol: everyone wants their shrimp to be as dark as yours!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
heh It was pretty frustrating that as soon as I came out with DBV, everyone suddenly started selling "DBV" even if they were classics or poor coloration. I worked for years to selectively create the dark BV strain and even caught a couple using my crappy pictures to sell with. Now I just label mine BV because of misleading sellers, and to avoid unreasonable expectations from buyers.

It's a shame really. I think there's room for both colorations in the hobby today. Both are pretty. :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heh It was pretty frustrating that as soon as I came out with DBV, everyone suddenly started selling "DBV" even if they were classics or poor coloration. I worked for years to selectively create the dark BV strain and even caught a couple using my crappy pictures to sell with. Now I just label mine BV because of misleading sellers, and to avoid unreasonable expectations from buyers.

It's a shame really. I think there's room for both colorations in the hobby today. Both are pretty. :)
I had the same thing happen with plants. I had a rare species of plant and sold them at a reasonable price but couple years down the line people turned around and sold them at 3 times the price :icon_roll
Lesson learned it's better to keep some varieties in a private collection not for sale or only share with collector friends who can appreciate the beauty and not only see dollar signs.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Sometimes I wish I could do that, but the honest truth is I have so many tanks, I need to sell offspring to keep on maintaining and selectively breeding my shrimp.

Plus, I'm blessed to be able to attempt to improve the quality of shrimp offered in the hobby. So I like to share. ;)

I can't control what everybody else does, but I like win-win situations. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts