The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have two fairly heavily planted low tech 10g tanks and a 2.5g. One of the 10s has 8 rasboras in it, the other one has a betta plus a few small nerite snails. The 2.5 just has one nerite at the moment. The nerites are all clithion coronas that stay fairly small. I would like to add amano shrimp and probably a few more nerites and have a couple of questions. Say I add one more snail to each of the 10g tanks, how many amanos could I add to each of the tanks, including the 2.5g? Should I get them in more than one batch to spread out the additional bio-load? I gather Amanos are less sensitive than many shrimp, but I don't want to add so many that it causes an ammonia spike that is harmful to them.

Also I am concerned about their escaping. One tank isn't covered at all at the moment, but I will change that before getting Amanos. In all cases, there are HOB filters. The 2.5 is a mini bow (I changed the filter to a HOB, partially because the one that comes with it blocks too much of the light), and the opening in the back is smaller than on the 10g. One of the 10g has a standard top on it and there's a fairly wide opening in the back. Am I correct that I need to do something about that?

Suggestions for tops that you like that work well? I hate the black strip down the middle of the top that I have, which is why the other one is open.

Thank you,
Leah

·
Registered
712 Posts
Amanos are very hardy and like most other shrimp, they don't have a large bio-load profile. In fact Amanos would be great to clean up any algae and eat left over food to precisely avoid the ammonia spikes.

You could keep as many as 4-5 (perhaps even more) in your 10G tank..no worries. I would keep the number down only to have to worry about fewer shrimp escaping. Although mine do get close to the waters edge, they never go out. It could be of the water agitation that dissuades them from breaking the barrier. I don't have experience with an HOB but I could see the HOB being a inviting place for shrimp for food but I still think you'll be ok - enough to try it out.

Most shrimp, perhaps except the large ones like vampire and such, have pretty low bio-load profiles. With Amanos, I fit just enough to be a good cleaning crew and look cool but not so many that it looks like an amano-only tank.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've got amanos in an open 20 long with a HOB filter and they don't try to escape at all. They do love climbing into the outflow of the filter and grazing on the bacteria they find though, but pretty much all the shrimp we keep enjoy doing that sort of thing. I'd be more concerned about the number of nerites you have in the tank rather than amanos. If it's small, you could wind up with some very hungry snails on your hands. The amanos will happily eat virtually anything you put in the tank for them, the nerites need algae.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information! That's a good point about the nerites. From another thread here, I do have a list of food that they will eat, but from what I have read about Amanos, they aren't going to sit back while the snails eat.

What about the 2.5g? Can I put a couple of Amanos in there? Would just one be stressed by not having the company of another Amano?

Thanks again,
Leah

·
Registered
712 Posts
Probably not - as in being alone it'll be fine. You could even put 2 in a 2.5G. Most shrimps Amano size and smaller are great for small tanks. Although in a 2.5, the Amano may look quite large. You could invest in some cherry shrimp on the other hand for a 2.5...they'll do a good cleaning job, look great and are cheaper than Amanos.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably not - as in being alone it'll be fine. You could even put 2 in a 2.5G. Most shrimps Amano size and smaller are great for small tanks. Although in a 2.5, the Amano may look quite large. You could invest in some cherry shrimp on the other hand for a 2.5...they'll do a good cleaning job, look great and are cheaper than Amanos.
Yes, but I would likely end up with a few too many for a 2.5g tank :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would not put any amano shrimp in the 2.5 gal tank, not enough room for these shrimp to move around in. They are very active swimmers. In the 10 gal you can easily keep 6 to 8. I have 6 in a 10 gal and the 3 females are constantly berried, which leads me to believe they are happy in that size tank with that many of their kind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not put any amano shrimp in the 2.5 gal tank, not enough room for these shrimp to move around in. They are very active swimmers. In the 10 gal you can easily keep 6 to 8. I have 6 in a 10 gal and the 3 females are constantly berried, which leads me to believe they are happy in that size tank with that many of their kind.
OK, thank you. I have two 10g tanks, so I can split the amanos between those. Have to look for something else to live in my 2.5g, or just leave it to the snail!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts