The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have a newly cycled (established for about 1.5 months) planted 20 gallon tank.
I got 7 Zebra Danios. They all look healthy but 5 of them are all together but 2 or so are almost always apart from the group. I have seen all seven fish school, but only a few times. Sometimes one of the Zebra Danios just sits on the ground for a few mins but gets right up just does not school.
Why is this?
THANKS!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
This is part of the reason that a school may be defined as a minimum of 5 fish, but I really feel that you need a dozen or more. There will always be one (or more) who refuse to be part of the crowd for whatever reason. There certainly could be health issues, so definitely watch the fish and see if anything else shows up. Perhaps the others are picking on the one more than usual.

I have 5 Mollies, and one of them is always apart from the other 4. Now Mollies are not schooling the same way that Danios are, just pointing out that there is 'One in (or out) of every crowd'.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If they are the only fish in the tank, that could be another reason besides illness. Some fish tend not to school if they don't feel "threatened" by the presence of a predator.
Was about to say this.

Throw a larger, (hopefully) not super aggressive fish in there. My rummies school much better since I added a dwarf gourami.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Zebra Danios are not schooling fish. They a shoaling fish. They only school when stressed otherwise you'll just see two or three chasing each other around randomly. They are very playful but drift all over the tank when they are not stressed. I'd actually be more concerned about the 5 that are schooling all the time. Also, when i had them, they never stayed in one place so I would be worried about the one that sits on the ground. They are super active and never stay still when happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! I liked your advice because I have 3 dwarf gauramis in a 20g with 8 zebras, they are not schooling at all but they do chase each other around sometimes but not constantly, but should I be concerned?

Zebra Danios are not schooling fish. They a shoaling fish. They only school when stressed otherwise you'll just see two or three chasing each other around randomly. They are very playful but drift all over the tank when they are not stressed. I'd actually be more concerned about the 5 that are schooling all the time. Also, when i had them, they never stayed in one place so I would be worried about the one that sits on the ground. They are super active and never stay still when happy.
Also, i don’t know if you’d know the answer to this one, but i have 2 pearl gauramis and a dwarf gold gaurami, I haven’t had any problems with them so far but it was an impulsive purchase of the pearls, they coexist fine right?

Hi there! I liked your advice because I have 3 dwarf gauramis in a 20g with 8 zebras, they are not schooling at all but they do chase each other around sometimes but not constantly, but should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
That's totally normal behavior. If you look you may notice that it happens in the mornings. Danio tend to spawn then. You may also notice that the ones being chase are slightly larger in the mid section because they are females. General chasing is also normal.

Also, i don’t know if you’d know the answer to this one, but i have 2 pearl gauramis and a dwarf gold gaurami, I haven’t had any problems with them so far but it was an impulsive purchase of the pearls, they coexist fine right?
The Pearls are pretty docile for gourami that get up to 6 inches. I have never seen a dwarf gold, sounds cool. But if the Pearls are male a female and there is floating foliage of some kind they may mate. If they do there will be a bubble nest and then the male will become very territorial once they spawn. This is the only time the Pearls could possibly be a danger to the other fish. Usually they just pest other gourami species but as long as there is enough room the male will herd all other fish away from the spawning area/bubble nest constantly until the fry are grown enough or just gone eventually. You can pull them or more than likely they will eventually be eaten, all 200 babies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy COW! That is so fascinating to me! I did asked the store keeper if they were bothered male or female, but she said you can’t tell at such an early age. One last question, will different kinds of gauramis mate?

That's totally normal behavior. If you look you may notice that it happens in the mornings. Danio tend to spawn then. You may also notice that the ones being chase are slightly larger in the mid section because they are females. General chasing is also normal.

The Pearls are pretty docile for gourami that get up to 6 inches. I have never seen a dwarf gold, sounds cool. But if the Pearls are male a female and there is floating foliage of some kind they may mate. If they do there will be a bubble nest and then the male will become very territorial once they spawn. This is the only time the Pearls could possibly be a danger to the other fish. Usually they just pest other gourami species but as long as there is enough room the male will herd all other fish away from the spawning area/bubble nest constantly until the fry are grown enough or just gone eventually. You can pull them or more than likely they will eventually be eaten, all 200 babies.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Holy COW! That is so fascinating to me! I did asked the store keeper if they were bothered male or female, but she said you can’t tell at such an early age. One last question, will different kinds of gauramis mate?
I am currently mixing a female 3 spot and a male golden. As far as I know only the opaline, 3-spot, and gold gourami will mate with each other successfully. More than likely some of the dwarves. I don't know what your gold dwarf is. Honestly I expect it's a Honey Gourami not a dwarf. Dwarfs are usually orange or blue or a mixture of the colors and have a more stubby appearance, Honeys look more slender like a normal gourami but just a shrunk down size. Those dwarves can all mate together. If yours is a Honey I don't think that it will mix with the others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.