The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my blue pearls are brown. They are juveniles so I'm assuming they will color up a little... either that or.. do blue pearls just spurt out some brown ones now and again? I'm not terribly bothered. I've just never owned these shrimp before and my google results turned up absolutely nothing...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics would help. They may somehow reverted back to wild type coloration.
Lol... thats a huge challenge... this things are tiny and blend in with everything... give me a little... I'll try and get one somehow. They like to come out on the rock in front sometimes.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Blue pearls should breed true. They are one of the very few blue shrimp that do, in fact. It's possible you had some pairing that gave you a wild type as suggested. The younger shrimp shouldn't be entirely brown, though they or adults can have brown spots.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They all came with some blue ones. There's just like.. maybe out of the 17 of them there,s about 5 or 6 brownish looking ones... Should I cull them? Possibly move them to another tank? These guys are about 3/4 - 1 cm in length

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
That's not normal. It's normal to get amber colored juveniles. I get them all the time but they eventually turn blue with age. I've never found a brown/amber colored adult.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not normal. It's normal to get amber colored juveniles. I get them all the time but they eventually turn blue with age. I've never found a brown/amber colored adult.
Those arent adults though.... I don't have any adults... does that mean they might change with time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.