The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would show these off. In Anchorage its really hard to get good drift wood so when I find it I have to buy...even if they charge me live rock prices. Tomorrow Im going to post more pics of possible auqascaping.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The plan is to remove that big plastic piece on the left and replace it with the drift wood. Might have to remove some plants to make room :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
In Anchorage? You've got AMAZING driftwood on the side of every major river! I found some great stuff from the Matanuska last year, but didn't have the space to bring it back. You have to be careful with the tides, but even so, no reason to buy driftwood when you can go outdoors and find awesome stuff.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Anchorage? You've got AMAZING driftwood on the side of every major river! I found some great stuff from the Matanuska last year, but didn't have the space to bring it back. You have to be careful with the tides, but even so, no reason to buy driftwood when you can go outdoors and find awesome stuff.

Trust me when I say I'm out on the rivers looking for stuff like this. Last time I took my cataraft down the Kenai river I came back with 300lbs of rock. With the drift wood I'm a little more sceptical. Correct me if I'm wrong here but won't drift wood taken from a completely different climate zone have some adverse effects on my tropical tank? I actually need info on this! Because your right, there is mass drift wood around where I live

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've been told (and I'm taking it on faith until I discover otherwise) that most tropical fish parasites aren't found in driftwood from cold weather areas. If not, why not just boil it to be sure?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I really prefer some of the store bought stuff since it seems to be a lot harder than the collected stuff I've bought in the past. I have some pieces that will barely stay submerged even after almost two years of being in a tank. lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the fake stuff, and plopped in the good stuff!

I finally did it. I had to rearrange some plants but didn't remove any. This tank is CROWDED now. It looks better...I think. Ideas?

Also, yes I know my tank has BBA. And Im working on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts

Trust me when I say I'm out on the rivers looking for stuff like this. Last time I took my cataraft down the Kenai river I came back with 300lbs of rock. With the drift wood I'm a little more sceptical. Correct me if I'm wrong here but won't drift wood taken from a completely different climate zone have some adverse effects on my tropical tank? I actually need info on this! Because your right, there is mass drift wood around where I live

Manzanita isn't tropical - Tom Barr collects his in areas that get snow most of the year. Nothing wrong with using nontropical wood as long as its nice and dry before it goes in the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.