The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my ehiem 9 gal tank crashed over the weekend.. I am doing research on what I can do (once I clean and recycle all, it'll give me time to plan and research while I cycle again).

I have a lot of plants, so it'll still stay a planted tank. (if I didn't have the plants, I'd convert it to a nano reef, lol)

I am looking for something unique for the tank. It's a 9 gal cube, and I feel restricted on what to do.

My option right now is just have a cherry shrimp tank.. but seeing what else I can do that's uncommon.

Toss some ideas my way!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Pygmy cory with shrimp. Get at least 6 they are shoaling fish.
Dwarf puffer with no shrimp (they often eat shrimp and sails-big and small).
Solo Betta splenden not recommended with shrimp (some can be with them but many will hunt them).
Scarlid badis (no idea how they are with shrimp).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Pygmy cory with shrimp. Get at least 6 they are shoaling fish.
Dwarf puffer with no shrimp (they often eat shrimp and sails-big and small).
Solo Betta splenden not recommended with shrimp (some can be with them but many will hunt them).
Scarlid badis (no idea how they are with shrimp).
I have 6 pygmy corys in a 4 gallon with a solo betta. Its a fun tank, the corys spawn in it on occasion.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a nano with pea puffers and they are incredibly fascinating. Truly unique with individual personalties. They are pretty hardy but I wouldn't classify them as an "easy" fish. They must go into an already established tank as they wont survive the cycling process. I know... I tried :-(. They are aggressive so a species only is recommended with maybe 3 females to 1 male in your setup. The stocking level is a bit of a crap shoot as I've found them to be the most individually vaired in their temperment. They are also fussy eaters and require live or frozen foods.
I know that's a seemingly long list of cons but I've found them to be very much worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I'd advise against 4 pea puffers aka swag puffers in a 9g. When keeping multiples they need a minimum of 3g per a puffer. I tried 3 in a 12g long, even with dense planting and plentiful in tank food (snails and black worms) the male harassed the females to jump to thier deaths (if you get multiples make sure to have a lid with no gaps they can get out. The male was not sxuslly mature but was the worst hunter of the group. He lives solo now.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Swag puffers? That's a new one for me :laugh2: (pretty sure you meant "dwarf puffers", but it auto-corrected haha) Just had a good laugh is all.
I HATE my phones auto correct.. I don't even use that word =,=
I meant dwarf puffers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.