The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.5 gallon that I'm currently aquascaping. I'm a noob at it pretty much but I wanted to give it a sort of dutch aquascape feel to it.

This is what I have so far:

image (37).jpg

What red plants would be best for this tank? Also, any other plants that would work well with this tank? :D Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Most Rotala species are well suited for smaller tanks, due to small leave sizes. Some of my favorites are R. Colorata, R. Magenta (though I haven't had the best luck myself with it), R. Wallichii, and R. rotundifolia. Those will all contrast well against each other as well.

I find Alternanthera reineckii does well up front, it's not a super slow grower but it's not fast. If you just trim the very top, it seems to bush out which can make a good midground plant. I have not tried AR Mini which is a popular plant right now.

Basically anything you like should work and I find red plants are easier in shorter tanks, due to the fact the light closer. The only consideration for a 5.5 would be leaf size and how the plant grows. Many Ludwigia species can be hard because the either have big leaves, they like to grow sideways under high light, the like to grow into big bushes that may take up all your tank, or all of the above. However, L. arcuata may be a good choice as well, often sold under "Narrow Leaf Ludwiga".

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Most Rotala species are well suited for smaller tanks, due to small leave sizes. Some of my favorites are R. Colorata, R. Magenta (though I haven't had the best luck myself with it), R. Wallichii, and R. rotundifolia. Those will all contrast well against each other as well.

I find Alternanthera reineckii does well up front, it's not a super slow grower but it's not fast. If you just trim the very top, it seems to bush out which can make a good midground plant. I have not tried AR Mini which is a popular plant right now.

Basically anything you like should work and I find red plants are easier in shorter tanks, due to the fact the light closer. The only consideration for a 5.5 would be leaf size and how the plant grows. Many Ludwigia species can be hard because the either have big leaves, they like to grow sideways under high light, the like to grow into big bushes that may take up all your tank, or all of the above. However, L. arcuata may be a good choice as well, often sold under "Narrow Leaf Ludwiga".
Ludwigia sp. Red also works in a small tank, as would AR Mini.
Smaller rotala species would be nice as well, basically, any shot and compact plant can work easily in a setup like this.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A red tiger lotus would look nice.

I could see lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' working as another interesting background stem plant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts