The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Once an anime artist, always an anime artist. :hihi:

And once a kid lost in love with nature, always one of those too. They say that man is a boy until the day he dies! :hihi:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
LOL I didn't expect a Pokemon! Thats a great picture!

I'm not sure on the pickachu though... :icon_lol: I always tended to like those dragon types...

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramirezi-- Economics :hihi:

Andrew-- What, you don't recognize Satoshi (Ash) when the color scheme's been messed with so much that his hair is orange? :icon_lol:

Closer to your taste? Though Milotic ain't a dragon. Damn, I bet Satoshi (Ash) will be jealous that Kasumi's (Misty's) pic is so much cooler looking . . . lol

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah the first one was great but the second one is amazing! I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil and I absolutely love dragons but cannot draw one. No matter how hard I try it's never good enough for myself. You always have amazing artwork.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dragons have always been a favorite of mine too. When I was in Pre-school/kindergarden I bet Chinese dragons were my favorite thing to draw . . . Back then I was in my "Draw 3 lines and then throw it out because I think it's no good." Stage. LOL

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wowza. I don't recognize that pokemon though. But I could see a scape for that last picture. You could be like Oliver Knott and incorporate plastic figures. You should get an action figure of whatever creature is in the last one and put it in! LOL. That would be awesome. Maybe like a vivarium!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
. . . that's because . . . he's one of the new pokemon . . . 493 to date! XD

Oliver's great, but I'll never sit well with those plastic figures. -_-

IMO-- an artist should make decisions purpously. That is, have thinking, reasoning, and reflecting guiding his decision making, especially when experimenting. Experimenting aimlessly-- that is experimenting just for the sake of experimenting, doing it just because you can-- makes the work lose its meaning.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Steven, that's insane! Economics? Thought you'd be in fine art! But hey, since people hardly ever end up in a job that actually uses their degree (no matter what it's in) I guess it doesn't matter all that much anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm enjoying you pics. I do love the arts not matter what it is from paintings, Aquascapes, sculpture & even Bonsai trees. Bonsai is very big in Hawaii, I have a freind who spends winters in Hawaii and she is a big bonsia artist.

What is you favorite medium in your work steven? are these pictures done in watercolors?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cindy-- I did consider going to art school but for a number of reasons . . .

Maybe the most important reason was that I figured no one would be able to teach me much about aquascaping at an art school. :hihi: Also, I've been in a serious art program in high school, and it's not what I wanted to do. They always ask the students to do more, do different things, change their motif etc.

I was sick of doing art that had to contain "some deeper meaning." I was sick of doing art on motifs I didn't want to do. My art is about nature's beauty. That's it, no deeper meaning, no angst, no morbid thoughts, no emotional torments and . . . etc.

All my work is about nature-- simple as that. I'm all for experimenting and pushing my boundaries, but simple work about beauty and nature is all I want to do. I'll push my boundaries within that sphere.

So, no art school. :D

Ramirezi-- My favorite medium? Planted Aquariums of course!! :hihi: lol but I do love many different mediums. These are photoshop works. I also love acrylic and oil paintings. When I was into anime art, I also tried water color and alcohol based pens, but I never really had the patience to work as carefully as needed for those forms. :hihi: Being in aquascaping, I've also had to pick up photography. Jeez though, in the past I've worked with crayons, oil pastels, chalk pastels, charcoal . . . there's a lot of fun stuff out there. This summer, I want to jump into ikebana. :D

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Andrew-- What, you don't recognize Satoshi (Ash) when the color scheme's been messed with so much that his hair is orange? :icon_lol:

Closer to your taste? Though Milotic ain't a dragon. Damn, I bet Satoshi (Ash) will be jealous that Kasumi's (Misty's) pic is so much cooler looking . . . lol
Didn't recognize him, Its been a while since I've been into Pokemon!

But that picture is pretty awesome! I would never have the paitenceto do something like that...

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's Milotic, a water type from Ruby/Sapphire with a similar idea to Gyarados. They're extremely beautiful, extremely strong, and EXTREMELY annoying to obtain.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Milotic?

They aren't that hard, just a lot of dry poke blocks, if you can catch a feebas.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
getting the feebas is the hard part neh? Well, if you don't have friends to trade you some.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would have never guessed that you did these in Photoshop and I have been working with that program since version 3.0, Now I am even more impressed.

I went to a ikebana demostration last fall, it sure is different that "american" flower arrangement where you cram as many flowers into a vase as possible.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
". . . I was sick of doing art that had to contain "some deeper meaning." I was sick of doing art on motifs I didn't want to do. My art is about nature's beauty. That's it, no deeper meaning, no angst, no morbid thoughts, no emotional torments and . . . etc. "
Tell me about it (I majored in Art Studio in my short-lived college career.) "It has to mean something? Can't I just make a pretty picture??? :hihi: " I'm amazed I did as well as I did. I did have one professor accuse me of "using [her] classes to teach myself." I guess what she meant was I wasn't doing it her way.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Catch one, breed a ton.
Or when you find the spot-- catch as many as you have the patience to. :hihi: (and of course breed them like crazy later)

I can't believe I actually played through it and found a feebas spot last summer. It took a hours! :hihi

Ramirezi-- It really is different! My grandmother was into it as a child, but at the time I guess I couldn't get myself to pay attention. lol I saw a demonstration of ikebana when I went to Tokyo though that really blew my mind. Amazing work those masters do.

Rose--lol!!!! Yes that's exactly it!!!!! Though I was lucky enough to have a couple teachers who let me do what I wanted and supported me in it, it's unavoidable that in an art-studying career, you're just going to get teachers who think the way the one you described-- not to mention the really good teachers will also want you to do different kinds of works also. It just seemed like it was going in a direction I didn't want to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts