The Planted Tank Forum banner

Some feedback? A little fishy predicament I'm in..

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kevmo911 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
About a month or so ago I gave my boyfriend's roommate my 30 gallon tank and stand for free since I wasn't using it. I told him to keep the tank and stand, but I needed my Coralife 1x65 watt light back one day. He got very excited about his new planted tank and this made me very happy!! :)

Unfortunately, about a week ago I found out I was able to locate and purchase some very hard to find fish I've been looking for earnestly for years online. This was totally random and unexpected. Naturally, I snapped at the opportunity and prompty set up my 20 long as a breeding tank. Here comes the problem.... the tank is 30" long and is the perfect size for my Coralife I let him borrow only a month ago. I do not have another light for the tank. I just cannot allow myself to purchase another 80+ dollar light when I already own one. However, I also just cannot allow myself to simply "take it back" after only letting him use it for a month. :( He has his tank completely set up for plants now!

I told him I need it back and I was very sorry, and I'd give him another one of my lights he could keep forever for free. It's an Aqueon 2x18 watt, perfectly fine for what he is growing. He said that's fine... Until today when I accidentally broke the light I was going to give him. Now I have no light to let him use but I'm going to "take back" the light I let him borrow.

What would you guys do? This guy has been great to me--lets me sleep in when my boyfriend goes to work, has always been very nice about me always being over, etc. But I feel like I've been VERY nice by letting him have the tank & stand 100% for free.. And I did tell him from the start he couldn't have the light for free. Would you guys feel awkward about asking for the light back so soon as well? My boyfriend thinks I'm being ridiculous and should just get my light back.

See less See more
#5 ·
He could probably afford one, but I know he will not want to. He kinda set the whole tank up on the pretense that he could use my light. That's the delimma. If I hadnt let him borrow my light, he probably wouldnt have set up the tank in the first place because he couldn't/didn't want to spend the money in order to do it right. I just feel really bad.

#6 ·
So can you delay needing a light for any amount of time? You mentioned you found a fish you really wanted. I'm sure the fish can do without a 65-watt light, unless it's a fish that requires high light plants. Can you hold off with the plants that require the light for long enough that you won't feel like you're yanking back your light from him right away? What kind of fish by the way? LOL... can't forget to leave out the cool details of what you finally found after all this time!!!

#7 ·
Yea it seems totally justified to expect the light returned, but it would definitely be considerate to give him a week or so to get a new one. Being that you gave him a tank and stand, he can't really complain that much. Give him the heads up to order a new one, and he will have it in no time if he orders soon. You can get little fixtures for sooo cheap on the internet that not buying one for a 30" tank is just admitting you don't want a planted tank.

#8 ·
Hehe, the fish are P. Gertrudae, or blue-eyed rainbows. I've been searching for them for a couple years now. Look them up on Google.. they are absolutely gorgeous, and only around 1" in length.

The reason I want the high powered light back is because these fish are notorious for being shy, and become stressed by empty tanks. They prefer heavily planted tanks. If I weren't trying to breed them, I wouldn't mind so much. Honestly, if I could do anything about taking the light back I would. I feel awkward, and like I said, tacky.

Higher Thinking, my fish are due to arrive Wednesday. I told him Saturday I needed the light back and he still has it. (Which is fine, I absolutely told him I don't need it for a couple more days) I'm just dreading the actual taking it from him. I'll feel so bad. So I should just be plain and simple Wednesday and ask for the light back straight up? I'll give him my light thats (kinda) broken.. one lamp won't turn on. IDK, my boyfriend like I said thinks I'm making this way too overly dramatic and to just get my light back and not worry about him because I already gave him so much stuff.

#9 ·
Also.. I've replaced the working bulb in the light I'm going to give him in exchange for my nice light so he isn't left high and dry. This cost me around 20 dollars (the fixture was 30) and I told him to keep it forever, for free. I just can't imagine how much more nice and accomodating I can be?? Why do I still feel terrible?!

#16 ·
Yep! You probably feel guilty because you're a caring sort of person who doesn't like to make waves. I'd say go ahead and get the light back so you can get your tank set up right for the new fish. Then, who knows, you might get him hooked on rainbows too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.