The Planted Tank Forum banner

Some basic Q

1030 12
Hey there ,

First of all i am new here as well as in a planted tank.....
I am total new in the planted tank keeping...

I decided to to make one for experimental basis ...
A "small low tech planted tank"

So i have some Q if someone can answer these then it would be great help..

Some Background...
As i said i am new in this field so i don't want to invest a lots of money and lose it just because of i don't have enough knowledge to maintain the tank....
That is why i decided to give it a shot for low tech planted tank.

Now the Q
1.What is minimum requirement for low tech planted tank?(Equipment wise)
2.Is it possible to have one without filter?

From wild search on internet , i know we can keep low tech planted tank without co2 and with low light but they don't talk about filters..

I have seen some tank in Aquarium Shop which doesn't have any filters or co2 and with low light....

When i ask them they told me they have not use any kind of other material besides from some fertilizers So is it possible to do that at home without any equipment???

Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Equipment; Tank, Stand, Heater, Filter or power head, Light.

If your not going to use a filter (something I wouldn't do and have never done) you should use a power head, you need flow to distribute nutrients around the tank.

Most aquarium shops have their tanks, all of their tanks, on 1 large filtration system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a big determining factor is wether or not you plan to keep fish in your tank. The equipment essential for plants only is different than what is needed to keep both together. It would also depend on what types of plant and or fish you would like.
ok i miss that ,what if i am planning to put some african cichlids with some hard to kill plants not decided yet may be you can help me..

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would also use sand. In my experience, sand is better than gravel for plant roots. The sand should only contain silica so that it doesn't affect the pH. It's used to mix concrete.

You might also look into the analysis of your water. I hope it has a good enough amount of Potassium. My tank has run out twice and I'm already dosing KNO3 and K2PO4. I will have to add K2SO4. Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and hopefully all trace elements, would be provided by the fish food that you use.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Anubia's,water sprite,vallisneria, Crinium ,sword plants, are a few plant's that are tough and grow fast enough to maybe still perform with occasional/possible damage from the cichlids.
African cichlids in my view,,would do better in larger tank as opposed to the small tank you say you wish to try.(territorial issues)
Would also need more robust filtration than sponge filter for the Africans (also my opinion)
something along the lines of 5 to 8 X the volume of water the tank holds in gph turnover.
Example..40 gal X 8 = 320 gph turnover.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You could also look into species that can root into rocks, this way the cichlids cant uproot them. I would suggest java ferns. I do agree with roadmaster about choosing these fish for a small tank. If your true intention is to keep this tank low tech, you should look at smaller hardier species that produce less waste.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks , i will reconsider my options........ and is it necessary to put a heater ... ?
Just want to ask because i don't have one if it is necessary then i will buy one..
This q because i have seen in petshop without heater tanks so is they using any centralize one may be stupid thing to ask but still...

Please help to solve confusion

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Thanks , i will reconsider my options........ and is it necessary to put a heater ... ?
Just want to ask because i don't have one if it is necessary then i will buy one..
This q because i have seen in petshop without heater tanks so is they using any centralize one may be stupid thing to ask but still...

Please help to solve confusion

If temps remain tropical in your country for the year,then maybe could get by without a heater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.