The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started a tank about a month ago with ADA soil. There is wood and seiryu stone in it. I let sit in a bucket for 5 days and boiled. My Ammonia is 0.25, Nitrate is 5ppm, and Nitrite is 5ppm which really confuses me.

Im running 2 Azoo filters.

I did a 50% water change and it still said 5ppm
I did a 90% an hour later and the test still says 5ppm.

Could it be something leaching the nitrite? I've read that ADA soil only releases ammonia. But i have pressurized co2, my tank is heavily planted, plants are doing great, pearling like crazy. I was dosing EI method, but stopped recently.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Check your water before you put it in the tank.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the soil is still leaching Ammonia then the BB will be breaking it into Nitrites first then Nitrates. So it could be a water change is disturbing the substrate then the BB is going to town on the ammonia released.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If your tap water is 0 then your test and/or test procedure is faulty. Changing 90% of the water with 0ppm will reduce the levels. It cannot be from bacterial breakdown in one hour. I assume you're talking about nitrite not nitrate since both were 5ppm?

Since your tap test shows 0 and tank test shows 5 (even though this is probably incorrect) your cycle is not yet complete. You can calibrate the tests listed here to ensure they are close. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the test results. Clearly they're not accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts