The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few plants that I have recently acquired but the the identity they were sold under seems to be incorrect. Please help me identify them correctly

1. This one was sold as Rotala macrandra 'green'. Looks similar but nor sure because of the leaf form

2. This was sold as Rotala pusilla and by form and shape it seems to R. mexicana 'araguaia'

3. This was also sold as Rotala pusilla (by now you can tell that I have thing for rotalas :)). Absolutely no clue what it is. Rotala sp 'araguaia'??

4. Sold as Rotala sp (unknown). Same unknown to me too, but beautiful. Looks very same as nanjenshan but I have some nanjenshan already and they are not same

5. This one is some kind of ludwigia (probably) and may be ludwigia brevipes but seller could not id it.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
#1 is Rotala macrandra that has started to grow emersed.

#2 is indeed Rotala mexicana 'Araguaia' (R. pusilla is an old synonym)

#3 is Rotala sp. 'Araguaia' (note the slightly emarginate - or indented - leaf tips)

#4 could be R. mexicana 'green' (from Australia) or Pogostemon erectum, but I can't say from the photo.

#5 I can't tell. Definitely not L. brevipes, and may even be something from the family Lythraceae, such as an Ammannia. Let it grow up above the water and we'll know soon enough. I know someone who has it and may be able to tell better if I have it in front of me.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#1 is Rotala macrandra that has started to grow emersed.
Really? These plants in picture are submerged though and I bought them from AFA who grow their plants submerged. Interesting.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
931 Posts
That emersed R. macrandra is gorgeous! amazing plants, malay!

#5 looks a lot like the "Ludwigia arcuata" that i was sold a while ago. That would actually explain a lot if i have what you have, because it doesnt look that much like the arcuata in other peoples' tanks. I do know though that L. brevipes is yellower in color, and i think its growth form looks more like P. gayii, in that it only has two leaves per node? idk i'm probably completely wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That emersed R. macrandra is gorgeous! amazing plants, malay!
Thanks demosthenes, although I am not yet sure if it emersed form b'cos all the leaves along the entire length of the stalk has the same roundish shape and the glossy texture. When I got them, I was also under the impression that these are probably emersed, but after I looked at them closely, I noticed the leaf shape/texture consistency along the length and also across side shoots. Guess I have to let it grow a little long to find out but if this is the emersed form, then it would be worth trying to grow it emersed in a riparium type setup.

#5 looks a lot like the "Ludwigia arcuata" that i was sold a while ago. That would actually explain a lot if i have what you have, because it doesnt look that much like the arcuata in other peoples' tanks. I do know though that L. brevipes is yellower in color, and i think its growth form looks more like P. gayii, in that it only has two leaves per node? idk i'm probably completely wrong about that.
That's also a possibility although I am not exactly sure yet since I have grown arcuata before and these don't seem to be the same plants. Again too small, so I have to let them grow and get a comparison.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like just the top inch or so made it above the water and converted.
Like I said in the previous post, the leaf form and texture is same along the entire length. Its just more compact at the apex. But who knows, the entire portion I bought might have been emersed. Only way to find out is to let it grow further.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Like I said in the previous post, the leaf form and texture is same along the entire length. Its just more compact at the apex. But who knows, the entire portion I bought might have been emersed. Only way to find out is to let it grow further.
I think it's already fairly evident that what you see at the top is the stems slowly changing over into emersed growth. Ever seen it grown emersed? That's what it looks like.

For the last one, you really need some sharper photos, perhaps after it has grown in a bit. Only a handfull of people have R. occultiflora in the US, and although AF does have some really cool new plants, I wouldn't put my money on that. R. mexicana is found worldwide and occurs in many forms, some of which look very much like R. occultiflora (could be P. erectum anyway). Incidentally, the two species are very closely related. The latter has quite large bracts that almost enclose the flowers, hence the name (hidden flower).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts