The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to hook up my self-made co2 reg today but I have one quick question. I bought a parker electric solenoid and have an old pc power cord. The solenoid has 2 hook ups one for positive and one for negative. The power cord has 3 wires; 1 pos., 1 neg, and 1 ground.

Where do I hook up the ground wire? Or is it not needed?

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is no negative and positive in AC current. There is just black hot wire white neutral wire and green ground also red hot if you are dealing with 240volt. Are you sure the solenoid you have is not DC current?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is there a label on the solenoid stating it's voltage? Some Parkers are 12 or 24v

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah only time negative and positive is used is with DC voltage. A 12v or 24v solenoid hooked up to 120v will just make a nasty smelly mess if you are lucky and possibly a file.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
If it's the Parker solenoid that I am thinking of (the one bought off eBay), then it is an AC solenoid (it says so on the sticker :))

As mentioned already, one wire is hot, the other is neutral. I did not ground my solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
Do you have a link? I am thinking about adding a solenoid valve.
As eBay links are not allowed in posts, I have sent you a PM with the link to the seller that I (and I suspect many of the Planted Tank users) buy their Parker solenoids from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are scaring me now. I didn't get a chance to hook it up yet (maybe thats a good thing) because I can't find the power cord that I had stripped and ready to hookup.

But this is the one purchased off of ebay and the sticker on the back says: "Voltage: 110/50 - 120/60"

Here is a pic of the reg and solenoid in question:

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
That appears to be the same one that I have. It works, as far as I know.

Interestingly enough, my setup is almost exactly the same as yours (JBJ bubble counter, the same Swagelok metering valve, and the same Parker solenoid)! The only difference is the regulator!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That appears to be the same one that I have. It works, as far as I know.

Interestingly enough, my setup is almost exactly the same as yours (JBJ bubble counter, the same Swagelok metering valve, and the same Parker solenoid)! The only difference is the regulator!

Haha, we probably got everything the same time off of ebay.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You guys are scaring me now. I didn't get a chance to hook it up yet (maybe thats a good thing) because I can't find the power cord that I had stripped and ready to hookup.

But this is the one purchased off of ebay and the sticker on the back says: "Voltage: 110/50 - 120/60"

Here is a pic of the reg and solenoid in question:

Nice photo. what camera/lens are you using?

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's a good idea to hook up the green wire to the metal components in that assembly. It looks like there are mounting holes on the bottom of the valve; that would be a good spot to secure the wire (optionally with a solder lug) with a machine screw.

If there's a fault in the insulation in the solenoid coil (a safety hazard), grounding the metal wil help the GFCI to trip and/or the breaker to trip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It will be fine. the 120 is the voltage and the 60 htz. How you hook the wires up will not make a diff, just cut the ground off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same question but my solenoid valve is a NUMATICS 24VDC, I striped the main cord and I found three wires inside green black and white I was expecting a red and black, I am stuck cuz I dont know how to hook it up, my power supply has + - and OK which wire goes where? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
I have the same question but my solenoid valve is a NUMATICS 24VDC, I striped the main cord and I found three wires inside green black and white I was expecting a red and black, I am stuck cuz I dont know how to hook it up, my power supply has + - and OK which wire goes where? Thanks.
From the 4th post in this thread...

There is no negative and positive in AC current. There is just black hot wire white neutral wire and green ground also red hot if you are dealing with 240volt. Are you sure the solenoid you have is not DC current?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Without using a transformer you DONT want to plug your 24 volt DC solenoid into a wall outlet. Since you posted 'my power supply has...' I assume you have a transformer/power supply that goes between the wall plug and your solenoid. If not--dont make the mistake of plugging it into a wall socket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.