The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wondered about that, this will run hit even at a 12v or 24v? Any good suggestions I bought a burkert last time and like it they are just pricey.

I suppose I will probably go with some smc solenoids. Any place better than another to order from?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
On the electrical calc I use, I find 3 watt at 24VDC to only be 125 milliamp. That sounds like 800mill would have you well covered? No problem having more available, just don't want to run with less.

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
On the electrical calc I use, I find 3 watt at 24VDC to only be 125 milliamp. That sounds like 800mill would have you well covered? No problem having more available, just don't want to run with less.
Yea that's fine.. DC coils don't even have surge current so they are equal (surge and hold amp draw). AC is different..
for AC 2x "hold" would suffice in most cases...

YMMV
Current in a dc solenoid depends only on resistance, so inrush and holding current are no different. This is why the MOPD rating is lower with direct current; there is no benefit of initial over-current to assist in lifting the plunger.

Recently, electronically enhanced dc coils have been developed which artificially produce an over-current for the first few milliseconds, simulating the inrush current of ac and providing full MOPD.
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/solenoid-valves-operation-selection-and-application

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.