The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wtf is going on? i unplugged it for a little while, and when i plugged it back in, i saw a few sparks and it just buzzes really frickin loud like it's going to explode! :icon_cry:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump.

10 letters.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rex, i'm assuming it's possible for me to change out the solenoid. is there anything special that i need to do that?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just send Rex a close up picture of your solenoid specially the connections so he will have an idea of the sizes ,if you need a reducer,and he'll send you a new one with all the parts you need to put it together easily.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i ordered another solenoid. it seems as though the solenoid is glued inline with the regulator and bubble counter and that i'm not going to be able to take it off. would it work to just unscrew the solenoid and just put the new black piece on it?

i cropped out the piece i would just be unscrewing off and adding to the old chrome little cube.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ok, i ordered another solenoid. it seems as though the solenoid is glued inline with the regulator and bubble counter and that i'm not going to be able to take it off. would it work to just unscrew the solenoid and just put the new black piece on it?

i cropped out the piece i would just be unscrewing off and adding to the old chrome little cube.

If by "the little black piece" you mean the coil, which is the part that the plug is wired to, most solenoid valves can have the coil replaced without disturbing anything else. When you said you saw sparks, did you mean at the receptacle when you plugged it in or at the coil itself?

Tommy

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tommy - yes, i mean the black piece. i'm not sure what it's called, but i know there is the chrome block, and black piece that separates into two pieces if you unscrew them. what i purchased is are the two black pieces already together. i saw sparks at the receptacle, not the coil.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
tommy - yes, i mean the black piece. i'm not sure what it's called, but i know there is the chrome block, and black piece that separates into two pieces if you unscrew them. what i purchased is are the two black pieces already together. i saw sparks at the receptacle, not the coil.

Sounds like the coil is partially shorted. I'm assuming the valve no longer opens even when it's buzzing?

Tommy

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, it opens just fine. it just scares the piss out of me by buzzing. it sounds like it's going to explode.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bumpinggggg.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rex? can you help any?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It looks like the same solenoid. You just need to be sure the stems are the same and that the voltage for the new coil is correct.

As far as the buzzing is concerned, if everything else is o.k., you may just need to tighten the nut down that holds the coil down. If it is still buzzes, then the coil is on its way out. Go ahead and replace it.

As far as the spark at the receptacle is concerned, if the coil was being energized as soon as you plugged it up, the spark you saw may have been the electricity jumping to the plug.

If you have an ohm meter you could read the resistance on the two coils. If they are the same( or very close), the old coil is very likely O.K. If you have any question, post your results for advise. The coil must be unplugged when testing the resistance.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys, but it's too late. i bought a replacement solenoid, screwed it on, and it seems to be working. if i have any further problems, i'll pm you rex.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, i have an issue already. i had to change the rotation of the solenoid. if you look, in this picture, the solenoid is from front to back

if you look at the replacement i bought, the solenoid is from left to right

the solenoid is letting the gas through, but it seems to be very inconsistent. i keep having to turn the bubbles up and then i come back in 5 minutes and it's slower. i sprayed windex on all openings to look for a leak, but nothing. any ideas, suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts