The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pet store was "positive" it was a flying fox, but I'm thinking (and hoping) it is a SAE. What are your opinions?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, but if you can tell the difference you can often get them for much cheaper. Recently I was able to get 10 Denison barbs for $3 each because they though they were baby bala sharks.
Nice score! I've been looking for SAE's forever. Hard to find the real species around here it seems. These were mislabeled, but I'm hoping I got what I want!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sorry what's SAE? This is the exact same as my flying fox and I have 4 of them (good or bad?)

Best algae eaters I've ever had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flying foxes are a completely different fish. The black bar runs only from head to tail not into the fin. And flying foxes don't have the bar bells around the mouth, there line is solid black and doesn't not have a zigzag pattern. Otherwise almost identically look the same. There is also a silver flying fox.

Sae's, like the one shown above are commonly mis labeled as flying fox because the people who do labeling don't know or care the difference. So what you have if it is the same as in the photo above is not a flying fox, but a Siamese algae eater (sae) m

·
Registered
16 Posts
Flying foxes are a completely different fish. The black bar runs only from head to tail not into the fin. And flying foxes don't have the bar bells around the mouth, there line is solid black and doesn't not have a zigzag pattern. Otherwise almost identically look the same. There is also a silver flying fox.

Sae's, like the one shown above are commonly mis labeled as flying fox because the people who do labeling don't know or care the difference. So what you have if it is the same as in the photo above is not a flying fox, but a Siamese algae eater (sae) m

Ok so it's pretty hard to tell yeah?

Mine have the black line all the way and have little feeler things each side of their mouths. Here a pic not too clear though.

Not sure what you mean by the zig zag though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts

This isn't exactly correct. The flying Fox does have the black bar running through its tail and it's head. The fish without the complete bar is likely the false Siamese. The flying Fox has an additional colored bar above the black one. It's usually yellowish; and yes it is a very smooth line compared to the jagged zig zag of the SAE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.