The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Copepod"

Many aquarists go to great lengths to create a large healthy population in either their tank or refugium. Remember, these “bugs” are a natural part of a healthy aquarium ecosystem, as well as an important food source required by some species to survive. In most cases they won't hurt anything.

Jul 25, 2008

This is the google answer...
However, Im looking for someone who has encountered small life living in their soil, while in dirt we have worms and springtails, we have copepods in our aquarium but only if the same is in total balance and equilibrium.

Am i wrong? Someone with this experience?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry, what is the question?

Whether such microfauna are a normal part of a healthy aquarium?

I would say the answer is yes provided that nothing reaches plague proportions. Having fish in the tank will generally limit populations (yum!), but in a shrimp only tank with no predators they can be more noticeable. I try to avoid looking in my shrimp tanks with a torch after lights out for fear of what new life form I might discover....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, what is the question?

Whether such microfauna are a normal part of a healthy aquarium?

I would say the answer is yes provided that nothing reaches plague proportions. Having fish in the tank will generally limit populations (yum!), but in a shrimp only tank with no predators they can be more noticeable. I try to avoid looking in my shrimp tanks with a torch after lights out for fear of what new life form I might discover....
I would like some information from someone that has experience or studied this microfauna. My questions is: what should i expect from a aquarium with this type of fauna? Is there any good source for me to study them?

All my tanks, in the last month, have beign showing this small white dots crawling around the glass, on the water surface and in the soil.

Im super curious about it. My ghost shrimp are spawning a lot in my 4.6g betta tank project and i can see a lot of this copepods in the tank as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts