The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use RO/DI water. I make a 4dGH and 1.5dKH solution. This creates a 84~ppm TDS. I have been lowering my tank TDS and it's now around 170ppm. My question, how low can the TDS go before I cause problems with my fish? Or is TDS irrelevant and I should only focus on my GH and KH?

Thank you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You should be fine as long as your water contains everything that's needed for healthy plant growth, what ever the final TDS might come to be. Just make sure it goes down gradually.

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,811 Posts
I use RO/DI water. I make a 4dGH and 1.5dKH solution. This creates a 84~ppm TDS. I have been lowering my tank TDS and it's now around 170ppm. My question, how low can the TDS go before I cause problems with my fish? Or is TDS irrelevant and I should only focus on my GH and KH?

Thank you.
FWIW - I have 3 tanks of various sizes and varying fish loads. I dose my RO water to 16ppm Ca, 5ppm Mg &1dKH. This results in about 75ppm TDS on my meter.
Current TDS readings in the various tanks, after dosing macros and micros
75g = 97 ppm TDS
40g = 96 ppm TDS
20g = 139ppm TDS
All the fish seem pretty happy :cool:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I read that certain species are fine with up to 300 PPM TDS. From experience 100-200 is usually what Neos and Bees will be happy in so that's what I usually float around.

I have heard when TDS is too high or too low you can have issues with scale and shell health. But as mentioned, if your water has all the necessary nutrients it should be fine with low TDS.

The problem though, is identifying which nutrients add to your total TDS. Your overall PPM could contain stuff from your tank as well, such as dissolved organics and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts