The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon betta tank that recently had a green algae bloom (think I’m running my lights too long.) Anyway, I tried a 3-day dark treatment by covering my tank and blocking out all light. After the three days, I went to clean my tank and found a couple of small, red BB sized “balls” in one corner. I initially thought they were pieces of my planted substrate that had broken open, revealing the clay within, but they looked different. I tried to retrieve them with my tweezers but they were so soft they completely broke apart. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get any pictures. The balls appeared almost like some internal organs or something, however my betta seems to be just fine. Then I thought it might be a different form of algae, but it didn’t look like anything I could find in my limited research. I also have an aquarium heater that’s supposed to regulate itself, but overheated my my water while the tank was covered.

I’m curious if anyone has experienced finding these soft, red, tissue-like balls, as it’s nothing I have ever seen before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like Cyanobacteria .. not harmful, actually can prevent other harmful Algae from growing. Traditionally from elevated levels of Phosphate & Nitrate. Google red algae and this bacteria will come up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.