The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna grab a snail or two but was wonderin which is the best at helping keep the glass and rocks clean?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just keep buying plants and you'll end up with an assortment of snails. I started with MTS (bought tank with existing gravel), and a few months ago noticed some ramshorns (after a plant purchase) - they now have the run of the tank!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater. I am developing an interest in apple snails and recently purchased some Asolene spixis.....really cool. I also want some violet brigs.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
mrbelvedere said:
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater. I am developing an interest in apple snails and recently purchased some Asolene spixis.....really cool. I also want some violet brigs.
Mine breed like crazy in my freshwater tank...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i have lots of MTS right now, how can i control them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You ever go down to your tank in the wee hours before the lights come on and see how many snails you have? Holy crap, I have! They are all over the place. It's kind of cool.

Makes me wonder if you can somehow trap them in a min-lobbster trap or something. Like, put a few algae tablets in a small wire trap and collect a few dozen just to limit the amount.

Anyone ever try that?

BTW the Turbo Twist UV sterlizer has worked like a charm and I thank all who helped me out there. A little over a week since I installed it and the tank is crystal clear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you ever want to get rid of snails just get a couple of clown loaches. I have 5 of them. I got a couple dozen ramhorn snails last month from the LFS that was over grown with them. They were gone inside the first week. Just a bunch of empty shells everwhere. I though few might surive and creat a colony but I guess my fish are just pigs. I have just started a 5.5 gallon that I am going to have cherry shrimp in. I am thinking about throughing in some snails to turn it into snack factory for my clowns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clowns are not a very good community tank member from what I remember, though. No? I think I would catch them going after my Angels. I don't have Angels anymore so maybe I will get a few.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater.
I thought that was the advantage of using Nerite snails. You can keep the population under control.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Maxlugar said:
Clowns are not a very good community tank member from what I remember, though. No? I think I would catch them going after my Angels. I don't have Angels anymore so maybe I will get a few.
My clown loaches went back to the store once I discovered they were the ones eating holes in my Amazon sword leaves. Just for fun, I guess . . .
I really liked having them, but not at that cost.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
and i think clown loach will also be your problem especially if your substrate is flourite, is there any more solution for this snails? what about the product that kill snale the one in LFS

·
Registered
987 Posts
KevinC said:
My clown loaches went back to the store once I discovered they were the ones eating holes in my Amazon sword leaves. Just for fun, I guess . . .
I really liked having them, but not at that cost.
They don't do that if you feed them green stuff - at least my yo-yos don't.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
xcooperx said:
and i think clown loach will also be your problem especially if your substrate is flourite, is there any more solution for this snails? what about the product that kill snale the one in LFS
You can pick them out 1 by 1 :hihi:
I don't think that you would want to use poison. If you have a lot of snails and you poison them, then you'll have lots of dead snails decaying in your substrate.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
TINNGG said:
They don't do that if you feed them green stuff - at least my yo-yos don't.
Yo Yo's don't touch the plants....clowns are another story though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts