The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first planted my tank I was eager for it to grow in & fill in fast...... Now that it has grown in I'm not sure what to do? I seem to have this problem with never being satisfied with my tanks & always rearranging them ahh. Maybe it's time to start a new tank.

Before

After

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
One of the reasons I seldom do tank journals is that my tanks are more process than goal-oriented--I'm forever fiddling and changing things up, experimenting with new ideas, trying out new plants, etc.

Sometimes it's big--like pulling out half the substrate from my main tank in order to put in sandy areas for my corys, sometimes it's as small as flipping the orientation of a piece of driftwood from horizontal to vertical to improve the 'scape as the background plants grow in. Pretty much every major prune reveals opportunities to tweak the layout.

Having a second (or third or fourth) tank can help that process as it gives you somewhere else to hold extra plants or hardscape ready to hand, or to grow out cuttings for later use, even give you the option of switching out fish populations. This summer I decided to make my main tank all silver/black based on the fish--so my backup tank absorbed my school of aging neon tetras as well as being my main endler breeding tank that supplies the males for my nano tanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've trimmed the plants 4 different times now. I think I will maybe remove some of the plants & try new ones. My other tank with plant cuttings is completely full. Anyone have suggestions? Anubias is out of the question though the footprint of this tank is a cube so it would take up most of the tank

It used to house betta & cories. Then after that It housed pea puffers. Now It houses 30+ shrimp with some fry I can barely see

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That plant needs a bigger tank!
I couldn't agree more! When I first started my planted tank I was in a rush & eager so I went with fast growing plants but now IMO I don't think fast growing plants & small footprints are meant to be.

I took out all the water wisteria except for two baby plants & same with water sprite, these two plants literally engulfed my whole tank & surface hindering light below. The length of the roots were almost unreal to me & Upon taking out most of the larger plants I was left with a very large clump of java moss that covers almost the complete back!

So now I'm left with some plants until I figure out what I want to do next. Since my stock is only shrimp I'm thinking of maybe using the java moss as a wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.