The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at three AM, the aqua clear 70 on my fifty gallon started getting louder and louder, started grinding, and when I took it all apart to try to clean it, the motor was smoking and the metal rod in the motor was bent to the side. No idea how this happened, but now I'm looking for a new filter. *sigh*

So I'm looking for suggestions, hopefully a hundred or less, less being better!
The only filters I've used have been HOB, and if I get another HOB, it won't be aqua clear! This is the second one that's up and died in five months!
I'm not against getting a canister, or another kind of filter, though.
What do you guys think?
It's a standard fifty gallon guppy/cory tank.

·
Registered
554 Posts
  • Do you have a prefilter sponge on your intake?

• What kind of substrate are you using for your tank?

Aren't you even the least bit curious to WHY your filter might have burned out like this?

I've never liked the shape of the AquaClear, but never had them break down.

You could try a Bio-Wheel 400 if you can get it for a good price.

BTW, I would keep the AquaClear parts that are still good for trading/bartering purposes.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Hi LyzzaRyzz,

For an HOB Aquaclear is my choice; I like the horizontal media placement. I use mine with 2 sponges only. My last one ran for 10+ years with no hassles.

If you chose canister there are many here that like Eheim and Fluval but I use Marineland. I had to have a couple fail but Marineland gave me two new ones at no charge, I didn't even have to pay shipping. Anything mechanical will eventually break and need parts and service; my experience has been that Marineland has great parts availability and customer service.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I agree, I completely beat the hell outta my AC and it just keeps on runnin like a champ'
Most people clean theirs every two weeks or so, I go months with a clogged pre filter until it trickles out lol!
Give er a good cleaning and she's back to brand new.
Some are luckier than others but the aqua clears have an outstanding rep.
Just get another one they are worth every penny IMO ,

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is the second one that's up and died in five months!
If these filters were new, I'd contact Hagen. A new product from any manufacturer that fails that fast is in need of a free replacement.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love my AC hob's. Mine keeps on ticking without fail. Not sure why you've gone through so many... If you prefer the hob, and like the customizable ness of the AC, I know Fluval has bought the company. They make a more attractive version that functions pretty much the same. Personally, I'd go with a canister if funds allow.

the addiction continues...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm. Maybe i can just buy the motor? you guys all seem like you stand by your aqua clears! I do have two 20s that run flawlessly.

Im going to contact the compant right now!

And if that doesnt work out, I think ill give it another try, maybe a 110, and get a nice prefilter. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've cut up a piece of sponge to fit my intake before. Now it's wrapped with a cut up piece of fish net. I'm just trying to keep shrimp from getting sucked up. Lots of fish stores and online sites still pre made sponges that fits over the intake. There are also members here that make steel mesh pre filters. Good luck!

the addiction continues...

·
Registered
234 Posts
An intake sponge may be a good idea. There may have been some matter that did not belong inside the impeller stem housing. If you are sure that was not the problem, a call to Hagen about your dissatisfaction would be prudent.

If you don't mind giving more money to Hagen...I got my girlfriend a Fluval C series HOB. The thing is awesome as far as media options. She likes it much more than her old Aqueon Quiet Flow filter.

I use Fluval 106 and 206 canisters on my 20L and 26bow tanks respectively and love them. Silent operation, awesome design as far as filter media options, easy to clean and reasemble. Only downside of these is the stock ribbed hosing that is easily replaced with hose found at HomeDespot or Lowe's (this way you can add your new favorite Hydor ETH heater:icon_wink).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.