The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 5g's just sitting in my garage begging to be used for something. Sooo tempting, but as if I need more work. lol. I have so many good ideas for one of these tanks.

1.) super tigers with micro crabs

2.) oebt's with micro crabs

3.) rilis, micro crabs, maybe some assasin snails

5.) blue pearls, micro crabs

6.) PFR's with micro crabs and assasin snails

I already have an extra sponge filter, some nice rocks, lots of driftwood, I think I have some gravel (enough for a 5g), and a heck of a lot of java moss. What do you all think? Stick to what I've got, or deal with the extra work and set up an awesome invert tank?

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think my sig agrees. I have to change it now since I got the wild tigers in. lol. I've promised my wife though no more new shrimp tanks until I get my female turtle out of her 55gal into a 100long or a 120long. I then say, but I need more shrimp to breed to sell to the LFS to trade for credit.

lol.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like #1 and 2 also. I want to try blue pearls too, but mixing them in a 5g probably wouldn't be great in terms of keeping it simple.

Right now, I have some (about 9) small red rilis (rapidly growing), 3 CRS, and quite a few baby CRS. Hopefully the rilis will breed soon after they reach maturity so I can make up for the shrimp I recently lost. Oh, yeah, and I got like a million seed shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya, with a 5gal I would maybe go with something that you don't have to cull as much or need separate tanks, like the blue pearls, don't they give out ambers and snowball colored ones as well, then you need to sell them off, have a cull tank or something else and thats another tank. A good strain of OEBT's should throw out a good selection of blues and only the very very odd blonde.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also thinking oebt's too, along with the micro crabs. MTS has got me now! Maybe I should add a few MTS to this tank too. lol.

Im thinking of scapes right now. I think I'll do two different kinds of moss. I have plenty of java moss, so I'm definitely going with some of that. Suggestions?

This is getting good!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I had some decent scapes and lots of plants and could never see my shrimp. Having a nice planted tank and a nice shrimp breeding population is hard. I got rid of most of my plants, they're just sitting in a bucket right now. lol. Its just driftwood, mosses and a few floating plants. I can see the shrimp much more now, don't have to worry about dosing too much of this or that and killing shrimp or too little and killing plants, light cycle isn't as important. Maybe one day I will setup just a nice planted tank, like mine started off with before I got a couple shrimp, now many tanks later, all my plants ripped out.......

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Here's a pic of my 5.5gal tiger tank

Here's my 7.8gal cube crystal tank

Here's my 20gal long 3 divisions with red, yellow, snowball

and heres a few pics of my wild tigers. look at the color variety. I'm excited for them to get breeding and see what color babies I can get out of them eventually.

I do have a background to go behind the 20gal long that covers the 7.8gal as well, just haven't put it back up.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Nice tanks bro! I like the black tape on the 20, it definitely looks better then the horrendous blue of the divider lol. What's up with those LEDs tho? Is it actually shining in front of the tank? Or in it? It's hard to tell :p
It is in the photo. It actually sits further back cause its on a steel grate that holds the pc fans I use to cool the tank as well. All my tank have fans. One has a AMD fan, the other an intel fan and a set of 360 fans on the crystal tank to keep it nice and cool. lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts