The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the wind just got let out of my sails. Was planning on setting up a 3-4g shrimp tank in my office to ease some of the tension I get from working with people all day.

Unfortunately it was just pointed out in our "safety policy" that aquariums are not allowed. Basically toss all the research I've done over the past week out the window but with so much work crap in my office I need something alive (besides myself which is just barely). I haven't ruled out a plain ole fish bowl which may or may not be allowed (need to check) but I really wanted something with some live plants of some sort other than your standard office pothos in a pot.

Anyone have any cool ideas for something I might be able to get away with? Pico paludarium without any equipment? Tiny terrarium that I can stare at wishing it was a tank?

I am open to any an all suggestions hoping that, given said suggestion there might be some additional info (what I would need) to go along with it.

Thanks in advance,
Very depressed office guy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Small jar with a couple shrimp and some plants/moss? It's not an aquarium, technically. I just tossed a mat of Utricularia gibba and three just barely hatched cherries and a pond snail into a little glass egg thing with a lid, to see how they do. Actually quite enjoying it right now, I'm playing spot the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Definitely should be able to get away with a terrarium, esp if you get one with openable doors so you can point to it and say "see is not designed to hold water"

You could also look into wabi-kusa, basically a small bowl with emersed plants sometimes in a bowl of water... Deep blue professional has some really short tanks that are relatively cheap if you want square, or you can do a big vase if you want round and don't like the process for ada stuff. If you get something with a big enough footprint you might even be able to sneak in a couple shrimp.

Baring that you can always get one of those massive vases, you know the ones that are almost 3 get tall and 10" around, and plant that with something, stick a custom riparium planet in the top and call it hydroponics (also might have enough space for shrimp or a beta

Heck you could even get a desktop fountain and plant that... Ali depends how you bend the rules

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know how you feel. My office only allows a Betta in a bowl and I refuse to do that to a poor fish.
So I went to the Marimo balls, I have one in a jar with a cork and another in a small vase. They seem to do very well in my cubicle, with little light and cleaned out once a week. Though they don't really move around, but I find them soothing to look at.
They do have those aquatic fish robots that swim in water, I wonder if that wouldn't help?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small jar with a couple shrimp and some plants/moss? It's not an aquarium, technically. I just tossed a mat of Utricularia gibba and three just barely hatched cherries and a pond snail into a little glass egg thing with a lid, to see how they do. Actually quite enjoying it right now, I'm playing spot the shrimp.
Sounds interesting but I worry about no water movement in the jar/vase/cup. I haven't seen many that look decent.

Definitely should be able to get away with a terrarium, esp if you get one with openable doors so you can point to it and say "see is not designed to hold water"

You could also look into wabi-kusa, basically a small bowl with emersed plants sometimes in a bowl of water... Deep blue professional has some really short tanks that are relatively cheap if you want square, or you can do a big vase if you want round and don't like the process for ada stuff. If you get something with a big enough footprint you might even be able to sneak in a couple shrimp.

Baring that you can always get one of those massive vases, you know the ones that are almost 3 get tall and 10" around, and plant that with something, stick a custom riparium planet in the top and call it hydroponics (also might have enough space for shrimp or a beta

Heck you could even get a desktop fountain and plant that... Ali depends how you bend the rules
Trying not to bend enough to piss people off. You know what they say though, "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission". I might look around on the internets some more and see whats out there like what you mentioned.

Feed the boss to the sharks !!!!!!
Wouldn't be the first time I've thought about it.

Rubbing it in :D
Hate your face.

I know how you feel. My office only allows a Betta in a bowl and I refuse to do that to a poor fish.
So I went to the Marimo balls, I have one in a jar with a cork and another in a small vase. They seem to do very well in my cubicle, with little light and cleaned out once a week. Though they don't really move around, but I find them soothing to look at.
They do have those aquatic fish robots that swim in water, I wonder if that wouldn't help?
Might have to steal some from my kids (robot fish that is).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I say get a tiger to sit by your side and no one will worry about the aquarium!:grin2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a lava lamp or Robot Check

:laugh2: every time I look up "aquarium" on craigslist at least 3 of those pop up.

Wabi-kusa in a vase? Perhaps a kokedama if you want to go with terrestrial plants instead.
I need to look into that.

I say get a tiger to sit by your side and no one will worry about the aquarium!:grin2:
Freaking brilliant! "Sorry boss, doesn't say no tigers anywhere in the office safety plan..."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also depressed that I have such a nice aquarium at home but sit at work all day. I've not specifically asked about having an aquarium in the office, but our spaces are really small, so I'm thinking it wouldn't fly/float/whatever.

That said, my technical solution I intend to try this year is to set up an aquarium camera at home and record each day. At work, I'll then plug in the previous day's recording to a conveniently-sized HD flatscreen on my desk. You could probably also live-stream the video, but to get continuous HD quality would take some prohibitive data rates that I'm sure my company network won't allow.

Not exactly the greatest thing, but, with a nice enough TV, I think it could be the next best to having an actual aquarium there.

Has anybody else tried this already?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I'd set up a shallow riparium with live house plants with roots in water and leaves above, or low humidity aquarium plants like ludwigia and creeping jenny, you can even use aquatic moss as long as part of it stays in water-will wick up moisture to above water moss. I find them very relaxing. You don't need a heater or filter if there is no fauna so its arguably not an aquarium, its simply a riparium.
My 55g riparium (tank is more like a pond-i can't see into it unless i sit right in front of it on the floor)

Obviously you would do something on a smaller scale.
A vase/bowl with a few plants would work well. You can do a soil substrate capped with gravel. Slap plants in some $2 or $3 plastic shower caddies to keep plants propped up and let the roots grow down into the soil. Only maintenance would be water top off. If you have a good office with a window there are several low light plants that could live off the sun, if no window love you an get simply light for the plants.

You could also use rock, driftwood, even foam to grow/prop up plants on instead of using a caddie.

You can easily get a vase/bowl/etc at a flower shop, most chain stores have something... also craft stores.
I have an anchor hawking 2g cookie jar from walmart for $10. I also have a 3g bubble bowl riparium, a 2g lantern vase, and a 2.5g vase all from Michels with a 50% off 1 item coupon to make them $10-18 (but you could buy a smaller vase/bowl for cheaper is there is no fauna) mine all have 1 fish in them so they're a bit larger than what you might get-betta typically except the philodendron tank-you could easily get a 1g or smaller if you'd like.

google search for nano ripariums here are some nice yields to give you more ideas:

·
Banned
93 Posts
get a simple little candy bowl, that what I use and no one is the wiser. its a secret. I have two RCS as shrimplets and now they are each an inch in size. ppl are allowed plants, so this is my "plant bowl" lol

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Start off with this idea:
I'd set up a shallow riparium with live house plants with roots in water and leaves above, or low humidity aquarium plants like ludwigia and creeping jenny, you can even use aquatic moss as long as part of it stays in water-will wick up moisture to above water moss. I find them very relaxing. You don't need a heater or filter if there is no fauna so its arguably not an aquarium, ply a riparium.
Throw in a little mischievous bending of the rules:
get a simple little candy bowl, that what I use and no one is the wiser. its a secret. I have two RCS as shrimplets and now they are each an inch in size. ppl are allowed plants, so this is my "plant bowl" lol
and finally, use exactly what you don't want to tame its appearance and add some camouflage so that no one suspects a thing!
your standard office pothos in a pot.
Honestly, if they throw a fit over that I'd say steal a printer and go all out office space on this company! Haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts