The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this tank set up for a couple of months now, and before I added plants, the tank water was always crystal clear. Now that it's planted (and has been for about 5 weeks), the water is getting more and more floating debris every day! i have 3 other tanks that I never have this problem with. I do a 40% water change every week and I suck up as much of the sunken debris as possible. I cleaned one of the filters two weeks ago, and the other one this afternoon. Any ideas or suggestions?

Tank: 47 gallons--48x12x18
Filters: 2 aquaclear 70

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think my brain temporarily died because what I meant to say is that there are lots of tiny particles in the water. They're not floating, but suspended in the water. It's crazy how I mean to say one thing but something completely different comes out. Sorry about that!! Any suggestions about the suspended particles? there are too too many.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, I'll see if I can get good pictures of it today (after I turn on the lights). They're just tiny particles, just like what you would siphon up during a water change. It looks just like the mulm that collects at the bottom of the tank. Th water never looks clear :icon_cry: It's not cloudy though. There are just the particles. I guess when I said "floating", I simply meant that it wasn't sinking.

If I could give it a name, it would be "water dust".

I hope we can get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have this too in my 30g. I know what you are talking about. I think part of it may be pods too. I just thought it was normal for a planted tank.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
More mechanical filtration would take care of this for you, but what you could do in the meantime is simply turn your filter off, let the dust settle (or float, as the case may be), and then net/vacuum it away.

·
Registered
157 Posts
what you could do in the meantime is simply turn your filter off, let the dust settle (or float, as the case may be), and then net/vacuum it away.
Good idea, gona try that next time I do a wc.. thanks! The stuff I'm talking about is not really visible from 3 feet away.. you really have to get close to the glass. I think with the shrimp shredding everything they can and disintegrating poop, food, and what not there is always going to be some particles. Granted more filtration could limit this problem.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Have you toyed with the tank at all? Could it just be sand from the subtrate?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've been battling this, as well. It settles on the slow growing leaves and moss, also. I just ordered some micron filter pad, to try that for a few days. I'll let you know if that works for me. Could be diatoms, but it seems to be so random and dust-like.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've been battling this, as well. It settles on the slow growing leaves and moss, also. I just ordered some micron filter pad, to try that for a few days. I'll let you know if that works for me. Could be diatoms, but it seems to be so random and dust-like.
usually when i set up a new tank i get dust like stuff in the water colum also. i allways just chalked it up to diatomes... but it may be dust... it usually goes away on its own but sometimes it takes a while. the micron pads should def help though!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The particles vary in size, so I don't know if it would be diatoms. The water isn't cloudy, so I doubt it's a bacterial bloom. The tank is cycled and there is no ammonia and no nitrites.

I use sand as a substrate, but I have sand in all my tanks!

I won't be posting a picture because you can't really see anything. I'm going to add an extra sponge to each filter and see what happens. right now, there's only one sponge in each (along with the bio media). I'm at least glad to see that i'm not the only one!!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, now I'm quite sure that it's diatoms. I know that they're common in new tanks, so I hope they will go away. They're really annoying! My HC is covered in it, and I hope the HC will make it. Is there anything I should do in the meantime? Should I dose ferts or excel differently?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Diatomacious algae shouldn't make water cloudy... if the water is cloudy you've probably got more than one algae issue.

Reducing light is always the first step. Then take a look at your CO2 & ferts. What are you dosing?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no, there's no cloudy water. Just the diatoms (my hypothesis anyway). Right now, I'm using excel daily, as indicated on the bottle. I dose half EI because the dosing regimen on this site was for a tank with high light and pressurized CO2. Actually...i think I'll post a thread about my dosing. Lights were on for 10 hours/day, but I reduced it to 9 (couple days ago). Thanks for your reply!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.