The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pile slate chunks so they create a slope front to back along the bare bottom of my tank, put dirt on top of it, then sand, should I put a barrier fabric or some such on top of the slate before putting dirt and sand on, so it doesn't creep between the slate and go anaerobic? I'm doing this to create depth in my real cute 55g's footprint instead of having sand piled 8" high at the back.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Could you perhaps fill the gaps in the slate with the sand? Since they are finer particles, they should gravitate to the bottom anyhow. That way the dirt will sit above the slate. Then cap the dirt in that area with additional sand.
It makes sense to me, but hopefully folks with more know-how will chime in!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But would that sand go anaerobic on me?

What if I used two layers of screening on top of the slate? Another thing to consider is how fast this fabric screen would deteriorate.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Steep slopes rarely last very long in an aquarium. Everything going on in the tank tends to level the slopes. You can do better if you use tiers of substrate, with barriers that stop the downslope movement of the substrate. Even then, eventually the substrate will mostly be at the bottom.

I haven't tried it, but I have been told that ADA Aquasoil holds a slope the best of all of the substrates.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Hoppy! This is partly to save on substrate, and to have a basic form to shovel the sand back on week after week. I was thinking of using slate pieces to create tiers on the different levels of slate too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.