The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I work at a LFS (which will not be named, at least for now). Their a pretty large and some what well known store. Caters equally (almost equally) to both salt and freshwater. We have a larger plant selection than most other stores. We carry the full line of Flourish (as far as I know) as well as solenoids, counters, diffusers, substrates and some other stuff.

Anyways, I want to nudge them to cater more to planted aquariums. This mean ordering specifically popular species and/or some more hard to find species.

Also I want to find a way to get them to carry more variety of supplies.

I just personally do not know where to start to even bring it up.

Heck, I'm technically a newbie myself when it comes to a fully blown high tech plant setup. I am learning more and more everyday.

I don't know where to start in aspects of dry goods. What are the good brands? What are the best bang for your buck brands? What would you, as a customer - like to see more in LFS.

We all already know what terms normally falls into place with LFS's, everything from over stocked to bad health and etc. I am not favoring anything or any shop - not even my own LFS I work at. However I personally scrub each and every tank at least twice a week. We do weekly water changes. We use R/O water mixed with Tap at a 1:1 ratio for discus, angels and other soft water species. For all the selections we have in store I am really surprised at our death rates being very low as compared to my previous employer (a major chain pet store).

I would like some inputs. I want to some how bring my LFS up in the ranks or at least get them to carry more of what us plant tank lovers like to see.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We already have a tank that is fully set up. However it can use a total revamp soon. I've been talking to them about it but they are saying not yet. So I figure one day I would. I do my best to display are plant selections. We have a low light tank, high light sections and obviously potted and bunch.

Our plant display tank is pretty much super dense with not much of a theme to it or scaping at all. It's just so over grown. I do plan on messing with that tank. I'm sure if I come in on a slow day and on my off day I would be able to do whatever without having them saying anything.

All the anubias or java ferns I receive in pots gets removed from their pots and placed on the substrate with something holding it down.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I don't think your boss will start bringing high end plant stuff until you show them something. Setup a sweet show tank in the shop and setup a really incredible home planted that will give you a lot more credit as a plant store. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is definitely in the works. Due to financial constraints I can not start my project anytime soon until I've gathered up everything. So far I am stocking up on some plants and keeping them alive in my 30 as well as some nice pieces of driftwood. I've always thought about setting up a fully blown planted aquarium and have not found time. I do think however I am ready or as ready as can be to bite the bullet and dive on in. I've found myself constantly lurking the threads and reading more and more.

I hope that as I start my project and throughout my project that I can motivate them enough to carry other products and etc. Hoping to be able to better my shop and others via my experiences.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Best bet, start your own display tank and get people interested.

Do you help order supplies? If so, start looking through the catalogs. If you can pay the wholesale price to set the tank up, big score there. Heck, even get a nice used tank to save some cash!

If you do not help, just talk to your boss about checking out the catalogs and tell him/her about your idea. It just might give them enough incentive to help you out. Honestly, you can do it pretty cheap for something like a 40g breeder on a wholesale account. Aquarium equipment is so overpriced and the markup (depending on where you live) is enormous. What I talked the owner of the store I volunteered in (he was my best friend) was a "trial sale". He ordered a bunch of freshwater fish and had a big sale on them just to get people in to see how things were. Sold really well and brought in a ton of new customers that converted to saltwater (his bread and butter).

Just an idea.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yes get more people invold with planted aquariums, do a trail sale, do you have a list of your customers emails. send out a monthly news letter in emails, with topics such as the different type of filters, fish, etc and ask what they(the customers) would like to see more of in the store. maybe do a gift card each month, where some one will win a gift card for 20-30 dollars worth the mech. at the store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The whole mailing list thing is a great idea. I'm going into work now. Time to clean up the plant selections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.