The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was hanging out under one of my grandma's plants that is usually in standing water. I tied it to a piece of slate and put it in with some snails to see if it might have been poisonous. The snails survived and multiplied, so I moved it to my threadfin tank where it would get some current under the filter. It's been growing slowly but surely. Now, I'm wondering how long it takes for a plant to be considered "submersed", like it will survive and grow underwater?

After 4 days:

After two weeks:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks interesting. I don't know about your question, but could you take a picture from as close as possible of a piece of the plant? Your grandma's plants, what kind of plants (local or bought from a store), where are they located (outside? near a water feature, river, ditch?)?

I don't know if I could help you to identify it, but people at killies.com might:
killies.com :: View Forum - Planted Tanks

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
liverwort are related to mosses... but i think you liverwort is terrestrial.. It might live underwater but i doubt they'll thrive.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not Süsswassertang.

Sorry, I don't know what plant Camilla is, is it terrestrial or a marsh plant?

If the liverwort keeps growing and is still doing well underwater in Spring, I'd suggest sending some to LoH K L. and Dr. Benito Tan to be identified (you find more information about that from killies.com).

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I think I have the name wrong, but it's a terrestrial flowering tree.
It was growing a thick mat on the soil and I stole a piece ;) It's definetly a liverwort, not a suss. I'll see how it grows.

Camellias is the correct spelling ;)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I don't know if I could help you to identify it, but people at killies.com might:
killies.com :: View Forum - Planted Tanks
If the liverwort keeps growing and is still doing well underwater in Spring, I'd suggest sending some to LoH K L. and Dr. Benito Tan to be identified (you find more information about that from killies.com).
I would deffinatly grow it for a while and if it turns out good send it to Loh K L great guy and loves mosses as much as the other nuts over here, and where rain is!

-Andrew

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have any photos from other angles? Directly above and directly below? It would help to identify.

If it came with a potted plant it probably is a terrestrial liverwort. They do well in greenhouses, do best on the edges of streams (in the wild) on rocks and logs where they are ocasionaly submersed so they will survive underwater, for how long I don't know. I love them but haven't mastered the humidity to grow them indoors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts