The Planted Tank Forum banner

So I found a kitten

4K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Tex Gal 
#1 ·
It apparently lost its mom. It sat outside my window crying for a few days.
I just found it today. It's only a few weeks old, maybe a month.

I can't keep it, beside being allergic to cats.
I went to the lps to buy basic stuff like kitty litter, kitty food. And went to the grocery store for milk and baby wipes.

What should I do with it?

#5 ·
I'll take a picture later.

I emailed the spca to see if they can take it. A friend of mine's sister who works as a vet said shelters aren't taking any new animals since none of the old ones are being adopted.
That may not be an issue since kittens get adopted out quick. It's mostly the older, 2+ year old cats who they have trouble getting adopted.

#4 ·
Well, i'd say keep him, but since you are allergic, +2 on the SPCA.

I'd tell you to try and find someone on craigslist, but at least in phoenix, there are a lot of people who take "free" animals and then resell them for profit.

Good luck with the lil' guy. Cats are awesome! *points to avatar*

#6 ·
First of all, bless you for taking the kitten in! :)

In my experience, it's usually pretty easy to find someone to adopt a kitten. I don't think you'll even need to take it to the SPCA. Just tell all your friends, and someone will be interested.

You just gotta believe!

It's too bad you're allergic... cats are the BEST!!

(This from a "dog guy!")

#7 ·
In my experience as soon as you find a kitten and have it in your house for a few days - good luck giving it away... people talk about being given puppy eyes... I swear those kitten eyes have supernatural powers allowing them to stay in whosoever's house they want.

#8 ·
You can age a kitten by how many teeth have erupted. If it's really a month old, you could make a gruel of KMR milk replacer and some kitten food if it won't eat kitten wet food by itself. If that fails, you can use veal flavored baby food (seems the most appetizing flavor to them, though morbid - feeding baby cats baby cows).
Once you get it to two pounds, take it down to the shelter. That's when it'll be able to get fixed and put up for adoption. You could take it now but it would most likely get upper respiratory infection before it got to surgery weight. I'm not sure what the resources are at your local shelters and what your "kitten season" is like, but most likely if it's really that young and they don't have fosters available, they might just euthanize it. Not to be harsh, it's just the reality of the shelter biz.

#16 ·
That kitten is soooo cute! Look at it! Sat out side for three days. There must be a reason it stayed at your place- like some sort of "I know you'll help me" connection, haha.
Ask your friends and their families to adopt it- someone you know will probs take it in. Cats are pretty independent and arent too high maintenance.

#19 ·
If you were closer I'd take it in in a hearbeat!
Unless of course, you'd like to drop it off here in Ct!

But on the serious side, you will need to give it a milk formula especially made for kittens. You can find it at your local pet store. Your grocery stores may have it in their pet food isle. You can also try a very small amount of canned/soft cat food on a spoon. It may help to water it down a bit.

Look online for pet rescue groups in your area too besides Petsmart and ASPA.

PS Be careful trying to get that spot off its face. It may be part of it's coloration. My one cat as a stray kitten had a teardrop coloration and we found out it was just her coloring after trying to clean it off....

#22 ·
PM sent. I don't think I can take the kitten in at this time, and do feel that it would be better if it was given to a knowledgeable person as soon as possible to give it the care it needs, multiple feedings and vet checkup.

If I find anyone that can help you with this matter, I will let you know.

Wishing you both the best. Regards, Comet

#26 ·
A bit of a thread diversion, but I live in CT too and work in New Haven. Would you guys like to meet up at my house in Hamden in about a month for a plant-people meeting with a few others? Probably on a Monday, Thursday, or Friday. Send me a PM!!

#31 ·
As luck would have it, we found one last night in the middle of the road. The tiny thing isn't more than a couple of days old. Been feeding it with an eye dropper and hopefully will find someone to take him that has a momma cat that is nursing.

He is so little... Poor thing. I can't believe you found him in the middle of the road, he probably climed out of somewhere I would go back were you found him and see if you can spot a mom somewere close by.

#30 ·
Awwwww little kitties :)
That's an adorable kitten you found mistergreen, if I lived closer I would take it, but then I think my hubby would move out LOL He is extremelly alergic to cats except mine for some reason.
I actually found 5 kittens in spring with their mom. Wanted to save them all so mom can get fixed and kittens would get adopted, but was only able to save 2 kittens, mom moved the rest some place else and I was not able to find them :( But the other 2 are great and got adopted.

I say keep it look at that face... and you could even get used to him, I know lots of people with cat alergies who have cats and they never complain ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.