The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and bought four (4) Philippine Blue Angelfish

Just want to share. I was planning to get Discus but when I saw those Angelfish they were so irresistible plus they were cheap - very cheap for a Philippine Blue variant. They're juveniles though, around 2" in length.

Typical Angelfish behaviour, they're already aggressive toward each other. The one you see on the photos is the boss.

I also did the taboo - bought a neglected blue Betta and placed him in the same tank as the angels. He's actually very happy with his new home and he's a glutton. Both the Betta and the Angels seem not to care about each other. I am prepared for the worst though got a decent sized tank all for himself.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
:D Very nice! They already got a good amount color.
I'm getting a group of Mixed (can't make up my mind which I like best yet until I see them grown out in person!) Philippine/Pinoy Blues within a couple months from now. Can't wait!

What are the little fish in there? They'd most likely end up being lunch for the Angels pretty soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hungry bastards haha. They always greet you: Hi, do you have more food? Curious do you keep other species in the tank? I love your plants BTW esp. the Crypts.

Bump:
:D Very nice! They already got a good amount color.
I'm getting a group of Mixed (can't make up my mind which I like best yet until I see them grown out in person!) Philippine/Pinoy Blues within a couple months from now. Can't wait!

What are the little fish in there? They'd most likely end up being lunch for the Angels pretty soon.
Thanks. :) Their bluish iridescence is quite striking. I am not sure if it is the combination of the tannins and light but they also have a hint of gold.

Those small fishes are feeder Guppy fries. They used to be plenty but I guess the Betta and Angels turned many of them into snacks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Angel fish and Bettas- 0:)0:)Two fishes which always lure you into sin and temptation. Can't blame you. I also did the unthinkable.

I saw a lovely specimen of Wild type Silver color with blood red eyes and even though he is Huge compared to the 6 angels which are already there in my tank, I could not resist missing out on having such a specimen.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no major aggression or I may have to just give him away :crying:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angel fish and Bettas- 0:)0:)Two fishes which always lure you into sin and temptation. Can't blame you. I also did the unthinkable.

I saw a lovely specimen of Wild type Silver color with blood red eyes and even though he is Huge compared to the 6 angels which are already there in my tank, I could not resist missing out on having such a specimen.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no major aggression or I may have to just give him away :crying:
It seems. I shouldn't have looked closer at the Angelfish in the petshop lol - I wouldn't have noticed they were the Philippine Blue type. On the Betta I am more concerned for him because when the Angels mature he will have no chance if they get into a fight.

Hopefully there won't be any fatal aggression in your tank and you can keep the new guy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have 3 blues and 1 altum cross angel in a 40 breeder with 8 male cherry barbs. The red offsets the blue nicely.

I was planning of keeping them with diamond tetras but the cherry barbs were ready to come out of quarantine while the diamonds were having problems still.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Oh Cherry Barbs do offset them, I can imagine your tank to be really nice. On the Diamond Tetras, aren't those quite delicate?

On the Angels, I love Altums - they rank high up there with the Discus in my list. I confess, I only knew about the Blues when I went to the pet store. And so far I'm loving them although part of me still dread the day they will pair up. I fear the 70 tank will become a war-zone. But I still only have feeder Guppies, (6) Albino Corys and ...... a male blue Betta. I know. I already have a Betta tank prepared just for the guy. I found him in a container the size of a small plastic cup in the pet shop. Now he seems happy in his new home - he loves exploring and likes to wander around the driftwoods. I'll transfer him the moment things get nasty between him and the Angels.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
And so far I'm loving them although part of me still dread the day they will pair up. I fear the 70 tank will become a war-zone.
My black angels decided to spawn yesterday... so, I have 2 pairs of broody angels in the tank this morning. Don't quite have the courage to go check in on them yet.... I kinda hope they ate the eggs.

I set up a 600x400x450mm high tank yesterday, but was too late for the spawn. The buggers spawned on a sag leaf right next to the egg tile. :( They went bat%$%&, they glued the leaf to the glass of the tank with eggs), getting them all out is not really an option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol. They're quite the character. I am not looking forward to the day mine will spawn - at all.

Bump:
When there're many plants it's not so bad with breeding pair. It's bad, but without tragedy. Driftwood, stones dividing the tank in at least two parts and it should be good.
My emerged plants are growing like crazy but my aquatic plants are still getting there. Hopefully by the time the Angels have grown their horns the aquatic plants have become well-established.

Last set of photos - solo and group shot. I fed them when I took these photos and they're still looking for food. Greedy buggers.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.