The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past year I had a few cherry barbs die from my school of 8. So I went to Petsmart and got a few to replace them. Hey, a dollar's a dollar, right?

So I put them in my little 15 gallon "shrimp tank" (it has one cherry red in it) to quarantine. 2 female and 2 male. One week to the day I see a tiny little speck peeking out from the java moss. What do you know! A fry appears!

Scooped the parents and the other 2 out and plopped them into the main tank. I figured hey, if they're healthy enough to breed...well, you know how that goes.

So, I present to you my new family

Here's a short video:

http://youtu.be/Ah04DgznJEw

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
COOL!

I like my Cherry Barbs. I think they are very under rated for Planted tanks. I while back I posted about finding a single fry that had survives to now 3/4" size. I've had both females spawn again so maybe I'll be at your success level soon.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. It was pure luck catching the fry before they became lunch. This tank is on my desk and I knew that one of the males was quite frisky, so I anticipated a brood. I just didn't expect it quite as soon as it happened. I've had your experience too. Looking in the tank and seeing a fry peek out from some moss. I love that!

I managed to grab a sword leaf full of green cory eggs in the same way, before they got munched on. Raised those guys up in a breeder box for a few months and traded them to a LFS for some goodies.

Today I get my package of American Flags and Bolivian Rams from Florida. Can't wait!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I think they have a nice coloring, and the males/females tend to be pretty interesting interacting with each other. I recommend at least 5 of them, 3 female, 2 male ratio. They're good community fish - no fin nipping, and although they might not school as tightly as others, they will still stick around together.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have 2 - Trios (2F & 4M) More like Hornets swamping around a nest than schooling :hihi:

I have another trio in my 10gl tank. They were the smallest of the colony.

Mine were outside for the summer in my Whiskey Barrel pond. They got huge and the coloration was just intense. Kinda interested in seeking If I can maintain a colony get to F2 by this time next year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a 15 gallon All Glass "kit" tank that I bought when I went to Petco for their $1 a gallon sale this spring. I suspected that a 20L would just be too big for the corner of my teacher's desk but I had to go out there anyway and MAKE SURE SURE. ;-) I paid $39 for it.

It has the classic 18w fluorescent "aquarium" bulb in it, and came with a Tetra mini power filter that seemed anemic even for 15 gallons. I had someone (hey Zed!) gift me some fish and a few shrimp and I needed a place to put the shrimp. So it became my "shrimpatorium"... Over the course of a few months the 2 other shrimp succumbed to my inattention and ignorance (and probably new tank syndrome) which left me with the one. I basically threw over-growth from my main tank in there along with some wassertang that was getting blown around by the filters and some java moss and ferns. Rocks came from Lake Ontario and the driftwood is Malaysian from Pet Supplies Plus. $10, although I think the one in this tank is actually from Zed too. I put the sponge filter in there for the shrimp's comfort. Bought the dual output air pump at Walmart for $10. I think that's about it, really. Nothing fancy. Oh, and the substrate is Black Diamond 20-40 blasting grit from Tractor Supply.

So total is about $60, not including fish and snails.

Oh and the tank is 24.25" X 12.5" X 12.75"

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.