The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had really not planned on doing Co2; but my PH is high from my water source and I know the Co2 would help with that issue as well as helping my plants overcome the challenges of both my well water AND being grown by a newbie.

However, since I am so inexperienced... does the Co2Art kits come with really good instructions? Im looking for both the installation and daily running.

Will I be running the Co2 all the time? or do I have to figure out how to add a timer? I didn't see a timer included in the kits...

Lastly... any chance of a special coupon for forum users?? 馃榿 (Never hurts to ask)

Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
So what I did was go on CO2 art. find a kit a I wanted, then buy the parts on line. I spent $100 less this way plus I got a tank and I don't think that's included CO2Art kits. However later I bought the more expensive CO2Art diffuser. So if you are going to go diffuser I recommend getting a good one.

You will want a timer. You want it to turn on about an 1-1.5 hours before the lights and then off again 1-1.5 before lights out. there will be different recommendations there. But you will want a timer for the co2 on it's own.

as for the instructions.... It's pretty easy. look up a youtube video. If you can't find one with the same brand stuff, don't sweat it. they are pretty similar, mainly just look for one that has the two gauges and at least glance and a few reviews if you can first. also, renting tanks may be easiest. often you rent and swap out tanks. sometimes this is easier than purchasing your own. I would look into your local options before purchasing your own tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what I did was go on CO2 art. find a kit a I wanted, then buy the parts on line. I spent $100 less this way plus I got a tank and I don't think that's included CO2Art kits. However later I bought the more expensive CO2Art diffuser. So if you are going to go diffuser I recommend getting a good one.

You will want a timer. You want it to turn on about an 1-1.5 hours before the lights and then off again 1-1.5 before lights out. there will be different recommendations there. But you will want a timer for the co2 on it's own.

as for the instructions.... It's pretty easy. look up a youtube video. If you can't find one with the same brand stuff, don't sweat it. they are pretty similar, mainly just look for one that has the two gauges and at least glance and a few reviews if you can first. also, renting tanks may be easiest. often you rent and swap out tanks. sometimes this is easier than purchasing your own. I would look into your local options before purchasing your own tank.
Thank you. Doing this as a newbie is tough... Any recommendations on a good timer? I really like the fluval lamp because of the phone app. Is there anything similar for a timer?

Registered
Any digital timer will work. Amazon sells a ton of different multi-outlets with a built in digital timer. Also any of the wi-fi timers will work. The nice thing about the multi-outlets strips is you can plug in your lights, co2 solenoid, etc into the timer side and your filter, heater, etc in the other side where its always on.

Premium Member
Thank you. Doing this as a newbie is tough... Any recommendations on a good timer? I really like the fluval lamp because of the phone app. Is there anything similar for a timer?
For timers, I now have half a dozen at at least. Mostly I ended up buying mostly Bink. I think. I have a FLuval 3.0 on my 75, which is the only one with CO2. I love it because of the build in timer. This is common on the higher end LED lights now.

BUt back to timers. I also go to the dollar store and buy them there. I get the cheaper ones with the dials, you will find a preference yourself. they have power strips with like 8 or 10 outlets and half of those are on a built in timmer. These are great if you have a few tanks in one spot or stand.

Premium Member
I know this thread has run it's course. But I wanted to add something to my initial posts.

1. I found out recently that CO2Art gives a discount if you're a member here. I don't recall all the facts, but I learned this recently.

2. My favorite timers these days are the Blue Tooth/WiFi ones from Amazon. Personally, I buy all one brand so I only need one app. I have been using Kasa brand with no issues. setup is pretty straight forward.

Vendor
Hi,

You are correct in your statement regarding a discount. As a member of this fine forum, you are welcome to a 15% discount if you use the code: PLANTEDTANKCOMMUNITY

The bluetooth/wifi timers are very effective and easily allow you to set both the solenoid and the lights to come on at the right time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts