The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 breeder in the back of my SUV! I couldn't resist the 1per gallon sale.... and Stanley the axolotl is getting so big.... anyways. I'm thinking about investing in a canister filter. Are they really worth it? I mean a hob filter that is big enough for a 40 will be about 50 bucks anyways... and from what I understand a canister will cost about 120. Convince me either way!! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
A lot of it is matter of preference. I've owned 2x Fluval canisters and hated them. Never had problems with my HOB filter. Of course canisters allow for superior filtration but again I had no issues with my HOB.

That being said, there are TONS of people who prefer canisters. If I was to buy a canister it would definitely be an Eheim.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love cannisters. They are quiet and the media selection is nice. I couldn't live without one. The water trickle from a HOB would be too much for me.

Fluvial 406 or FX with spray bar on a 40b is excellent! I have the 406 on mine right now. Great water circulation and gph filtration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which model eheim do you have? Any other suggestions? With cost in mind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
1,983 Posts
I had HOB for the longest time. I finally found a couple of good deals on a fluval 305 and a 404 and haven't looked back. They're quiet, easy to maintain and do a much better job of filtering than the HOB did. The only thing I've had to do was replace the impeller on the 404 because I bought the filter used and it was making a racket. Other than that its been wonderful.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been in the hobby for 25 years or so and have always had a HOB filter until two months ago when I had a green water outbreak. I bought a UV sterilizer and needed something to pump the water through it.

I decided to buy a canister filter. I have to say, it is so quiet, I have to put my ear to it to see if it is running. It has a spray bar so I can control the water flow better. Another thing I like is that I can put my intake on one side of the tank and the out put on the other side.

One huge downside with a canister, if you get a leak in the system it can drain your whole tank.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Are they really worth it? I mean a hob filter that is big enough for a 40 will be about 50 bucks anyways... and from what I understand a canister will cost about 120. Convince me either way!! :)
YEs they are worth it.. HOB's are noisy....Canisters can be found for under $120 and generally speaking the amount of media surface area is way greater, cheaper (by cu ft), and you really have less maintenance.. (or more if you don't believe in leaving things alone)..
Also a lot more flexible as to media ect..

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
We all have preferences so rather than just say I like canisters, I prefer to give some specific reasons.
One large one is the noise from HOB water movement. Canisters are quiet.
They are also totally flexible on what and how much media you want to use. You can adjust the output of a canister by partially closing the quick disconnects on Eheim and maybe others.
With my HOB samdwiched between the tank and the wall, I found it very awkward to get the can off the tank while it was full of water. That meant I dreaded cleaning the impeller well and did not do it as often as I should have. A good canister is easy to disconnect and take wherever you want to really clean it.
They have a totally different way of moving the water through the media which i find very helpful. HOB move water through the pump impeller first then through the media. This can let sand or other debris get stuck in the impeller well where it can quickly wear the shaft or impeller to the point that they have to be replaced. Big expense! That combined with needing to change filter media much more often make HOB somewhat more expensive to maintain.
I had several Emperor 400 HOB and they are all gone. I have had several canister filters and they are all still working. I find good canisters are cheaper in the long run.
They rarely wear out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm going to chime in my 2 cents...

Hobs have a place in all aquariums. So do canisters. It depends on a couple things in my book. Since I went canister I've realised how much I enjoy the quiet of them. I have the spray bar well under the water level so by the time I hear splish splash of water I'm REALLY low and desperately need a water change. With a hob, that could happen the next day..

With canisters you can do inline equipment. I know money doesn't grow on trees but if you can do an inline heater I'd suggest it. You can also do inline co2 and you have lots of outflow options like spray bar, lily pipes etc. You can even make your own out of PVC or get replacement hose at home depot for like 40 cents a foot .

I have an AQ70 in a box that I'll never use again. Yeah it worked, but I could NEVER get the impeller to shut up no matter how much vaseline I threw at it and I had already returned one for that same issue. I have and AQ 20 that has been running ok but is a little louder than normal. I have a Penguin Biowheel from years ago and it's still running strong and quiet. I use that one on my quarentine 10 gallon.

Look for a sale on the Eheim line. For a 40 breeder I'd suggest a 2215.
I have a 2213, 2215 and a 2217.

Oh and as above mentioned, I can have my 46 bow 3 inches from the wall. If I was using my ac70 it'd have to be farther forward and that's a lot of wasted space JUST for a filter. I have a very narrow living room so every inch matters for floorspace.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Canister all the way been running a FX5 going or 7 or 8 years never had to replace anything on it SUPER quiet easy to maintain would never use a HOB unless it was a temporary tank I needed for a short time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts