The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitchen companion is sick. From what I've read it appears he's in his final days. Clark is a beautiful blue and red betta, I chose him because he was/is so active in that tiny little pet store (I know, a gamble) cup, flaring at the fish beside him like there was no tomorrow. He's always been healthy and active, never failing to look for me to walk into the kitchen anywhere near his tank.

Right now he's in a hospital tank with an antibiotic for dropsy and epsom salts - not the full strength 'bath' dose but about a half strength dose so I can leave him in there without disturbing him for multiple baths. He seems very content, can still float with the help of a comfy silk plant, can even swim without trouble so far but every single one of his scales is pineconed. This is heartbreaking.

Sorry for the rambling, my question is, how do I clean his 5 gal, low tech tank for the next betta I know is coming eventually. It's heated, filtered and fairly heavily planted. The only other things in there are dozens of mostly baby bladder snails that hitched a ride on a plant that was added. Any advice from anyone whose dealt with this horrible condition would be SO greatly appreciated!! I'm thinking tear it completely down, clean everything and re-cycle, start from scratch because who knows what kind of infection or where it came from caused his dropsy. What would you do or have done? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I put my female betta down after 6 months of struggling to cure it. She would get better, and regress.
methylene and Epsom baths work reasonably well to counter the symptoms, but do not cure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't know how long it has had dropsy but there is strong anecdotal evidence in the goldfish community that extremely high oxygen content in the water will treat the condition. The earlier the treatment starts the more chance there is to cure it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts