The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title asks, I was wondering if anyone has used the dry-start method with Marsilea minuta. I'm planning a slow-growing 80g tank using anubias, java fern, bolbitis, and the likes. I'm also trying out MTS, with kitty litter and eco-complete.
I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this; I have none whatsoever with the DSM or M. minuta. If anyone has done this before, how much quicker did it carpet than usual? Did it have any extreme trouble with the transition to being submerged? Anything else worth noting? :help:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that eventually the 2/3/4-node stems will die off and be replaced by the submerged form. I just want to know if it will take less time to fill in with the DSM.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've tried, and it might just be the big I got, but mine grew tall and spread fast. Haven't tried re-submerging it yet though

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kehy - it sounds like it very well might, but I have no experience with it so I can't really make that judgement.
Aokashi - does it completely die off, or does at least some of it come back?
I was planning to try and test it with a ten gallon and a cheap CFL fixture just to see how it reacts to the dry-start and to the later submersion. I just wanted to know if it was a viable option for the start-up of the tank.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It also depends on the growing conditions. but most do die off. thei emergent and submersed leaves are very different.

but it might be worth a try anyway, since the spreading stolons might produce new leaves at each node

1 - 7 of 7 Posts