The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife loves it, tells me to just leave it alone for once, I am about to pull all the plants out and re-plant it and get rid of the stem plants.

I moved all my rocks in front of the overflows and then stuck in a bunch of hornwork to cover up, not bad, just not sure.

ugh.....:mad:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any pictures?

Guess that would help....:icon_roll I had few friends over tonight they seem to like it at as well.

Please excuse the mess, I have the canopy off making some changes to it, so I can increase the height of the light.

The back is filled will small swords, so it might look bit empty, but trying to allow for room to things to grow out.

Attachments

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
The only thing I see wrong technically Is the wood dead in the middle.

If you had three pieces of wood, or seven, it would do well there.

In the meanwhile, why don't you move it off to one side and more towards the back a little?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Move your wood to one side or the other, pile some stones around it natural looking, plant some big swords behind it with stems and along the back for a distance. Create another bush of larger and taller plants on the adjacent side, leaving a space for smaller plants in the middle. If you are going to plant all across the middle I would get some chain swords to create a carpet rather a whole tank full of huge plants, Unless thats what your going for. The "U" shape created with the plants will give you a major focal point on the side with the wood and another minor focal point on the other side with just plants. The carpet of smaller plants will bring it all together.

Just some suggestions based on what I would do with what you have. Take from it what you will and good luck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Move your wood to one side or the other, pile some stones around it natural looking, plant some big swords behind it with stems and along the back for a distance. Create another bush of larger and taller plants on the adjacent side, leaving a space for smaller plants in the middle. If you are going to plant all across the middle I would get some chain swords to create a carpet rather a whole tank full of huge plants, Unless thats what your going for. The "U" shape created with the plants will give you a major focal point on the side with the wood and another minor focal point on the other side with just plants. The carpet of smaller plants will bring it all together.

Just some suggestions based on what I would do with what you have. Take from it what you will and good luck.

Thanks for the advise, good ideas. I going to get some more plants this week and make some changes.

Do you think I can keep the rocks on each side that are in front of the overflows? The reason I ask is I put them in that location because no matter what plant I would put in front of the overflow, it would always get sucked in the grates at the bottom of the overflow, you cannot see as the rocks cover them up now.

The tree is back towards the back as far as it will go as the branch on the left won't allow for it to go back anymore, don't know if I want to flip it cause the other side does not look as nice.

I think I will move the wood over to the right to start with.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
We worry a lot. The more you'll think that your tank's not looking good enough, you'll keep drowning in the sorrow.
Be happy. Stop thinking that it's not good. It's very good, indeed. If everybody's liking it, it must be good. Just take care of the wood, as suggested by the other people and add some more plants :)
Our hobby is to make us happy. Remember that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agree, the tank looks great, but a little to symmetrical for my taste.
Just one question: why so much water flow? It looks like you have four returns and 2 circulating pumps as well.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the wood not being as nice on the flip side, its there to help the plants look good, not steal the show, so to speak. And remember its wood not steel you can always cut it if you need to.

And as far as the rocks go, if thats where they need to be then by all means man, its your tank. There arent rules to this stuff, just guidelines and pointers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love that piece of wood! move it to the left or right (about a third from either side) and it would be a great focal point.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Guess that would help....:icon_roll I had few friends over tonight they seem to like it at as well.

Please excuse the mess, I have the canopy off making some changes to it, so I can increase the height of the light.

The back is filled will small swords, so it might look bit empty, but trying to allow for room to things to grow out.
Hi Jim_PA,

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....otherwise my wife would never have married me! lol

That said, before you tear it all out and start over put together a rough plan. If you don't know what you like; visit the Aquatic Gardener's Association website and check out some of the winners of their aquascaping contests from past years. When you see 'scapes you like make a note or two of what appeals to you.

What helped me with my tanks was a talk done by Karen Randall (and AGA Judge) at our club meeting a couple of years ago. She discussed the elements of good design and how to incorporate them in our tanks. I learned about using perspective to add depth to my design. I also learned about using the Golden Ratio and the Rule of Thirds and how that help to bring interest to my tank, especially when placing my hardscape materials. Lastly she discussed using plants with different leaf textures, shapes, and colors (including various shades of green) help to add contrast. BTW, Karen Randall's talk is available on the AGA DVD of their 2010 convention along with a talk by Ghazanfar Ghori on growing emersed crypts and Jason Baliban on aquascape photography along with several other talks.

The great thing about this hobby is I have the opportunity to learn more and apply what I learn to my designs. Will I ever have an award winner? Doubtful but if I like it and it brings be enjoyment then it is a winner to me.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I am about to start moving stuff around shortly, do you guys think I need some more plants? If so any suggestions as to what type? I am about to order some today.
Nope. It looks really nice. I wouldn't change a thing, just move the wood and maybe add more or add rocks.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alien spaceship drift wood has landed in the tank!

tank looks fantastic btw
I mean its not like you're trying to win an aquascaping contest :3
ha ha, even better I miss read your post, thought said not like your going to win an aquascaping contest. ha ha

Maybe too many paint fumes..been painting rooms in the house today. :fish:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I like my tanks about 25% of the time (if I'm lucky).

You're going to have to face reality here,,,, planted tanks are alive and being alive stuff changes, nothing is static.
I like my tanks about 25% of the time. Trim things back and rescape then they look barren. Once things grow in a bit it's like my son's crown when he combs his hair, it won't stay down and the hair springs up (scraggly looking). Then one day I walk in the room and it's perfect!!! Nice new leaves on the stems, the crowns are at the right height and the colors are all good. Background the right height but not folding over, foreground filled in nice and even. Life is good for about 2 weeks LOL. Then it's again like my son when he 'almost' needs a haircut. Little curls at the collar, hair down over his ears looking like a haystack (errrr!). The stems get too tall and fold over, the foreground has gotten crowded. Blyxa starting to push roots out of the substrate, sag too thick, crypts matting into each other and runners going everywhere with daughter plants. I can't seem to get all the sub clean on water change days.

At least the scape lasts longer than one of my son's haircuts do LMAO.
and the plants don't whine when the scissors come out of the drawer.

I like my tanks about 25% of the time (if I'm lucky) but I love my son 24/7.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.