The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so lost. I look and look, but the more I try to find something, the more frustrated I get. I've never planted an aquarium before.

I have a 10g that I want to try to make a planted aquarium out of. I understand the DIY co2 injection and correct substrate, but I'm having a very hard time with the lighting.

From what I understand, I need 2-3 watts/gallon to grow most types of plants. My problem is that I can only find 15w 18" lights. That would only give me 1.5 watts/gallon.

Is that enough for such a small tank? Are there some plants that would thrive under those low light conditions? Or is there something else I can do/buy to up the wattage to 2-3 w/g?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather start off on the right foot with this. It would be incredibly discouraging to me if I spent a lot of time/effort/money just to have my plants melt before my eyes.

·
Banned
217 Posts
or you could build a hood yourself...if thats the case...get 3 15w 18" T8 bulbs...then 45 watts/10 gal = 4.5 wpg

-you would need 1-3(s) ballast to power 3 F15T8 bulbs
-some basic wiring know-how
-3 bulbs
-something to build the hood out of

you can grow anything with that as well+ CO2+ substrate

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much!

My fiance knows about wiring, so he might be willing to help me out with a DIY project.

If that doesn't work, I have the link for the light Felf808 posted saved!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
A have heard that Coralife T5NO lights are really good. How long is a 10g tank?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
From what I understand, I need 2-3 watts/gallon to grow most types of plants. My problem is that I can only find 15w 18" lights. That would only give me 1.5 watts/gallon.

You can have a very nice low tech 10gal under this lighting, and CO2 would be entirely optional at this light level. This is one of my 10gals grown under that same 15 watt fixture (No CO2 or ferts at all):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.