The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Low light setup.....would this not be better than no CO2?
125 gallon....

I know....get a real setup. I tried that....failed.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

125 gallon....

No and definitely not on a 125G. You'll be replacing the cartridges every week.

·
Registered
20 Posts

125 gallon....

How come your setup failed? I messed around with DIY for a second, but it was a hassle. Eventually got a paintball setup and it was so much easier. I've since upgraded to a 20lb Co2 tank. Getting a system like you linked is way too small for a 125 gallon. On my 17gal my paintball tanks only lasted me about 1 to 2 months and those were 20oz tanks, a 3 oz tank like the cartridges on that kit would have lasted me a week maybe. It's been almost a year on my 20lb tank and I haven't had to refill yet.

I learned the hard way that if you wanna go CO2 its better to just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No and definitely not on a 125G. You'll be replacing the cartridges every week.
+1 for that. If you failed with a full setup you will have no better luck with a mini-version meant for a 10 gallon tank. A 125 gallon tank is pretty big by planted tank standards. Also describe the how you failed. Plants died? Slow growth? Poorly formed leaves? etc..

If you can provide us with details about your setup and the kind of plants that you are trying to grow then we can help you. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who are very generous with their time...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first tank of CO2 everything was going good. My tank ran out. The only place I could find to refill it, was a paintball store. I am pretty sure they filled it with compressed air. Because everything went south fast after the refill. I got over run with algae bad. I was pretty upset, because I did not know what was happening. So I sold the CO2 kit.....on this forum.

Well now a few years later here I go again.
I am not trying to do a Hi- tech setup. I was just wondering if adding small amounts of CO2 would benefit a low tech setup.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think it would in a tank that size. Considering the water volume, you'd run out of C02 pretty quickly before you noticed any difference in growth. I think you'd be better off with a bigger canister and a good regulator set up. That way you'd be able to adjust the C02 injection to your liking, and it would last a LOT longer, which would cut down on maintenance. BTW, if you have a fire & safety equipment store local to you, give them a call. You may be able to refill your C02 tanks there, or they may be able to point you in the right direction. I think they'd be less likely to make the same mistake that the paintball store guy did.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I agree that the 125 is not going to be very happy as one of the main ideas to go by is STABLE. A littleCO2 seems like it might help but not if it is something that varies and with the tiny supply the CO2 level WILL vary.

So some points to help rationalize bigger? It is a bite in the wallet, so I have to trick myself into it being okay!

One big thing is that the cost of CO2 refills is not usually the cost of the gas but the labor to do the fill and exhange. Buying at specialty shops like paintball is often a place to get ripped on any price. Cost of sneakers at a shoe shop versus a runningshop, for example? So looking for the places where the "regular, working folks" do it will often get better pricing. CO2 is used in a wide range of places like welders, soda and beer, both making and selling and that means volume prices.
And then it get down to what it takes to take in a five pound tank versus a ten or twenty. The gas is really, really cheap stuff but the work is almost the same so there may only be a dollar or so difference in five versus twenty pounds!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in small town Indiana, the paintball shop was it. I went to the only welding shop and they looked at me like I was a alien!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts