The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 8 in my 2.5g and two died yesterday, one of which had looked sick for a while. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0. The only difference is that I started dosing iron on Wednesday and found them dead today. So they could have died during the day yesterday or last night. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If it was the iron, you probably want to do a water change to reduce the levels or more could be on the way. 1 dead shrimp every now and again, it happens, they get old, sick, things happen. They don't have a long lifespan and if you don't know the age because you didn't have them from birth, you don't know.

More that 1 dead shrimp at any given time though, something is up.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
By RCS you mean red cherry shrimp right, not crystal red shrimp? some people intermix the RCS and CRS all the time. Red cherries are normally pretty hardy and its hard to kill them, nevermind a few at once.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
One missed WC in a fertilized tank can be enough. :(
True. I only dose half-dose excel a couple of times a week and fluorish once a week and let the fish and dwarf frogs provide the rest for the plants. Its low light, slow growing plants and I'm fine with it. My shrimp are the main thing of the tank, not the plants.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
2 50% waters a week seems like waaaaay too much. Test your nitrates, if they're high, change your water. If they're fine, leave it. I don't change on a schedule, I change when the tests say I should. Changing the water that much would probably put more stress on the critters inside than leaving it.

EDIT: In a tank with ferts, I don't know the schedule so I'll leave that more to the experts.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I do a water change once per week due to EI dosing and make it a big one since the tank is so small. When I bought these shrimp the employee gave me what was labeled as an algae eating shrimp (not an amano), by accident. He has been in there for months and I have never noticed a problem. Could the deaths be due to that shrimp becoming aggressive?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Without knowing what the shrimp is, it's pretty much impossible to say whether it could have had anything to do with the death. It's not a red claw macro shrimp, is it? That's about the only thing I can think of that is an actively aggressive shrimp that sometimes winds up in an aquarium by mistake.

How long have you had the RCS?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had them about two months. Just checked my nitrate and it is at 10ppm so that isn't the cause. This mystery may never be solved haha. All the others are doing fine and moving around at their normal rate. Even some juvenile ghost shrimp that were born in this tank and at least one baby red cherry shrimp are active.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts