The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
won't foul your water.
It'll foul your water. Even barley will foul your water a bit if too much is left long enough in a shrimp tank. But it only takes a few days for soy products to begin ruining everything.

I'd pick organic baby spinach over that stuff. Buy a quality bag, freeze leaves individually (rolled up in little balls), way better overall.

If you want long-term feeding without worry, stash a piece of Indian Almond Leaf somewhere in the tank where shrimp can get to it. They're thicker and tend to last longer than most other leaf litter.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll foul your water. Even barley will foul your water a bit if too much is left long enough in a shrimp tank. But it only takes a few days for soy products to begin ruining everything.

I'd pick organic baby spinach over that stuff. Buy a quality bag, freeze leaves individually (rolled up in little balls), way better overall.

If you want long-term feeding without worry, stash a piece of Indian Almond Leaf somewhere in the tank where shrimp can get to it. They're thicker and tend to last longer than most other leaf litter.
Suppose to be harmless snowflakes, lol, well if it fouls the water I'll return it as "inaccurate description". I already do the frozen spinach thing which is good, but they don't go crazy over it like they do with the algae wafers so was looking for more variety.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
but they don't go crazy over it
How frequently are you feeding? If it's every 2-3 days, maybe add an additional day or two without food and see how they behave. Mine all go bonkers over spinach. Granted, I have heavily populated tanks but I find if shrimp aren't going crazy over something, it's usually because they aren't hungry. There are a couple foods I make that are an exception but for the most part, spinach is the most popular thing I feed. Even my Endlers like it - and they'll spit out pretty much anything that isn't a Hikari Micro Pellet or decapsulated brine.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How frequently are you feeding?
You mean the shrimp? I usually give a wafer once or twice a week and then the spinach once a week, but as I said they go crazy over the wafer even twice a week, compared to the Spinach. With the spinach some will come over, but with the wafer it's the whole community.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I bought the "Snowflake" Shrimp Food, just to mix things up a bit. Broke off a 1/4" pellet and put it in:

Five minutes later I had this:

Twenty minutes later, "snow" everywhere!

One good thing about this is because it spreads everywhere, I don't have the issue of one large Amano running away with a wafer.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
One good thing about this is because it spreads everywhere, I don't have the issue of one large Amano running away with a wafer.
My favorite is when a giant Amano steals food the split second it hits the ground (or before), dragging it all over the tank to make a mess. I've had them drag large almond leaves in attempt to hoard them.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My favorite is when a giant Amano steals food the split second it hits the ground (or before), dragging it all over the tank to make a mess. I've had them drag large almond leaves in attempt to hoard them.
Yep, one thing I'll say about shrimp, they are far more entertaining then fish.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Unless you have a very dense and packed substrate, or vac occasionally, please use a feeding dish so the food bits don't go everywhere. Also, only feed what they can finish in 1-2 hrs. This also applies to the snowflake food.
BTW, nice shrimp, good colors.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you have a very dense and packed substrate, or vac occasionally, please use a feeding dish so the food bits don't go everywhere. Also, only feed what they can finish in 1-2 hrs. This also applies to the snowflake food.
BTW, nice shrimp, good colors.
Thanks, I'm pretty good on maintenance and do "10 minute tidys" where I go around and remove uneaten food, damaged leaves, etc. One thing with this food is a tiny piece is plenty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts