The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few shrimp species and out of all of them snowball shrimp are giving me a run for my money.

They seem to be doing good and looking healthy and then I will start seeing the transparentness turn to a darker white where you can't see through them anymore and then they die.

Has anybody else had problems with snowballs? Please tell me your experience with these shrimp whether good or bad.

Thanks

I am keeping them at 76 degrees
9 GH
7 KH
78 PH
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
5 nitrate

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I see a couple things you might try. Is it possible to soften your water a bit? They like the pH more on the neutral to slightly acid side in my experience. Also, see if you can get that nitrate level down to zero, unless of course this is a planted tank.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see a couple things you might try. Is it possible to soften your water a bit? They like the pH more on the neutral to slightly acid side in my experience. Also, see if you can get that nitrate level down to zero, unless of course this is a planted tank.
I can soften the water and lower the PH because I have a Ro system but everywhere i look it says they like soft to medium hard with a alkaline PH. I have bought them from 2 sources and they keep them at the alkaline , medium hard water range.

I Like how so many sellers say they are as easy as cherries. That is not true, at least in my experience.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I agree they are not quite as easy as cherries. I would start using the RO water and reconstitute it just to make sure there are absolutely no heavy metals or other chemicals in the tank.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I can soften the water and lower the PH because I have a Ro system but everywhere i look it says they like soft to medium hard with a alkaline PH. I have bought them from 2 sources and they keep them at the alkaline , medium hard water range.

I Like how so many sellers say they are as easy as cherries. That is not true, at least in my experience.
There is currently no shrimp that breed as easy and fast as the cherries.
Soft acidic water to neutral is the best. What are you using to measure your ph?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is currently no shrimp that breed as easy and fast as the cherries.
Soft acidic water to neutral is the best. What are you using to measure your ph?
I am using a calibrated PH controller to measure the PH. YOu think it is best to keep them at 7.0 or below on the PH?

The way it sounds these shrimp would do good in the CRS tank. Soft water at 3GH and a PH at 6.6???

·
Registered
780 Posts
This seems odd to me, I have a thriving population of the wild-color snowball shrimp in a 30 long with dwarf crayfish. The water is hard, pH is 7.6, and I haven't seen any deaths among the original group yet. some of the first offspring are now breeding, and there are various sizes of young shrimp, from tiny week-old up to breeding adults.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This seems odd to me, I have a thriving population of the wild-color snowball shrimp in a 30 long with dwarf crayfish. The water is hard, pH is 7.6, and I haven't seen any deaths among the original group yet. some of the first offspring are now breeding, and there are various sizes of young shrimp, from tiny week-old up to breeding adults.
I know what you mean. Everywhere I see snowballs for sale they say soft to med-hard with a PH in the alkaline range so I am a little confused.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I had the wild snowballs as well and they were easier to manage than the snowball variety. I suspect the inbreeding the obtain the white coloration makes them a little bit weaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts