The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my snowball shrimp has sort of whitish insides, but they're not round like eggs. For some reason it reminds me of toy stuffing. The shrimp hasn't been acting out of sorts, but like a typical shrimp. Maybe a little rude by walking into other shrimp during feeding time, but that's about it.

Some backstory:
I had my snowball shrimp in the 5 gallon with the betta shrimp. One night he went nuts and killed two, so I transferred the rest to my 2.5 tank where there were a few neocaridina davidi, because I have no other tanks. A week or more before the incident, I noticed that this shrimp had whitish insides. At first I assumed/hoped they were eggs but they weren't round. More like cottony insides like toy stuffing. I left it be in hopes it would sort itself out.

It's been maybe a few weeks since the transfer, and the shrimp still has the same problem. I think it's actually gotten worse and spread more. I also noticed that this shrimp has a new saddle, and may have hatched eggs a week or two before the betta attack. (Reason being, I have two large adult females, and the other one was still berried during that whole time frame and only recently hatched her eggs, but I found several young juvies when transferring the shrimp).

I googled the issue and only thing I've seen is that it may be a possible bacterial infection. I quarantined the shrimp today and took some pictures.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
If bacterial (and it could be), some people have used Kanaplex and/or with Maracyn 2, H2O2, Lowkeys Recover, BorneoWild Rescue, etc.

Water changes and tannins from indian almond leaves, alder cones and banana leaves may also be beneficial.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If bacterial (and it could be), some people have used Kanaplex and/or with Maracyn 2, H2O2, Lowkeys Recover, BorneoWild Rescue, etc.

Water changes and tannins from indian almond leaves, alder cones and banana leaves may also be beneficial.
I haven't noticed the same white stuff in the other shrimp yet, but I'll try to use one of the listed products with the addition of some alder cones. I already have an indian almond leaf crushed up in the tank.

What do I do about the one in quarantine? I don't have an extra tank, so I literally just have the poor girl in a tupperware dish with a leaf and a few inches of water...

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
You could try making a "tea" with the alder cones and adding a couple of drops to the water? Maybe give a small piece of leaf?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried adding KanaPlex every other day, as well as a bit of indian almond leaves (to both my shrimp tank and my quarantine bowl) but there hasn't been a change. A few weeks ago I had to add another shrimp to quarantine. I noticed a day ago that one of the youngest babies has a white streak, not a saddle, in their tail. There's also some very grayish spots in some of the others' tails, faint enough that I'm not sure if it's the same stuff or nothing to worry about. At this point I don't know if it's out of control that I should just put the quarantined shrimp back in the tank, or keep quarantining shrimp, because I might end up with more shrimp in the quarantine bowl than in my little shrimp tank.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
By any chance, do you know what parameter differences there are between your beta tank and the shrimp tank?

Sounds like you may need to treat the entire tank. What temp is the tank sitting at?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By any chance, do you know what parameter differences there are between your beta tank and the shrimp tank?

Sounds like you may need to treat the entire tank. What temp is the tank sitting at?
The shrimp tank is at 74.5 F. The quarantine bowl doesn't have a heater.

I've been treating the shrimp tank and the quarantine bowl, but I haven't been treating the betta tank--I forgot that the first shrimp started showing signs while in the betta tank, though--should I be dosing the betta tank? The betta doesn't seem to be acting any differently than when I first got him. His tank is at 77.6 F.

If you need parameters of both tanks and the bowl, let me know, I'll get it in a few days.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The betta should be fine.

I was wondering if this could somehow be stress related, and if there's a difference between the betta's tank and the shrimp tank, that could possibly be it. That doesn't quite seem plausible now. I saw someone who used oil of oregano and oregano flakes for "rust spot disease", but I don't know if it would help any for this issue. I'm not sure if there's a good treatment honestly. Lower temps may help.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So as an update, I saw a male with a similar situation going on and quarantined him with the female. He died weeks later. She lasted a lot longer, and seemed unbothered by whatever was going on in her tail, but I found her dead today. The front half of her had turned black.

So as usual, I'm worried about it spreading around to the other shrimp. By now most the shrimp in there are offspring of the first batch I bought from a reputable seller, so once they're of mature age, I have to consider either risking inbreds or getting a new batch for new DNA and risking them getting infected. I haven't seen any that were as bad as that first one but I have seen a few shrimp with like a white circle in a random part of their tail. I'm worried it'll spread through them like it did that first female.

Also, something seriously alarming today. I was doing a water change and some aquascaping maintenance on the betta's tank today (it's just him or the snail--or so I thought) when I saw what looked like a familiar shrimpy outline of a head. And it was... a living shrimp. I thought I had removed all the snowballs in there but somehow this one has evaded detection and grown into an adult. But the scariest part was that this shrimp, living shrimp, is black with a whitish stripe down its back. What. Is. Happening. Feels like a horror movie. I hope there's some kind of rational explanation for this because I am freaking out. X'D

So when I stopped screaming like a little girl and got my courage back, I caught the shrimp and put it in quarantine, then took pictures (as best I could). It looks more dark brown than black and has a striking orange stripe on its back. There should only have been snowballs in this tank, before I moved them to the other tank.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The black shrimp looks to be a healthy black/carbon shrimp. Maybe not of the highest "grade" but a black neo none-the-less. The stripe is known as the "racing stripe", commonly seen on females, and perfectly normal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. The Mystery Shrimp

I thought maybe this new shrimp was related to whatever was going on with my quarantined girl (since she turned half black when she died). Now that I can see this new girl in better light, she appears to be a very dark brown. Definitely low-grade. I'm just not sure how she came to be there in the betta's tank--There weren't any other kind of shrimp in there at the time for interbreeding, just snowballs.

For the longest time there were no shrimp in the betta's tank, and then I bought some snowball shrimp. I would have noticed if there was a brown one in among with them while I drip acclimated. Plus she's younger than that batch, but older than the last two hatchings.

I can rule out any of the snowballs having been previously berried because they were barely juveniles when I first got them, and there would have been more like this girl, not just one.

I moved the snowballs out of that tank some time ago, so how she even evaded my searches and relocations, I have no idea, so seeing a shrimp in there at all, and not a snowball, was really alarming.

Really, it's a mystery. Thanks to a friend, I've named her Lucy. I'm not really sure what to do with her. Now that I know she's a natural shrimp and not just suffering some disease, I'd like to keep her, but I can't have her in the betta tank or she'll continue hiding out for the rest of her life from the betta. If I put her in the other shrimp tank, she'll probably interbreed.

2. Cysts?
Also, getting back to the topic of the thread, I got a hold of the seller of my snowball shrimp, showed them pictures of my quarantined snowball, and asked if he knew what it might be. They said the white things are cysts and could be treated with the medicine I have. If this is true, I'm so relieved it's not infectious, that means I can go ahead and buy new shrimp for the new DNA (since they're mostly related now).

3. DNA
If I buy from the same seller, is it more likely that the shrimp are related? Or should I go with a different seller?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts