The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , this is my pond, its been up since last spring.
Its about 15 feet by 9 feet, and about 2.5 deep

I found this old pump, and would like to make a DIY pond filter with it, but im still searching for the right one to make. Any links would be very helpfull. Ive been reading up at koiphen about DIY filters too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beautiful pond snapple! Love the landscpaing around it. :thumbsup:

What kind of fish are you keeping in it?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Landscaping is cool. How did you get the moss to grow there? Is that Trapa natans or Ludwigia helminthorriza?

·
Registered
281 Posts
that looks great. how hard is it to build a pond, say, half that size? is it expensive? i would maybe like to start one, but i want to know what i'm getting into first.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful pond snapple! Love the landscpaing around it. :thumbsup:

What kind of fish are you keeping in it?
thanks, just goldfish, some catfish, a bluegill, and some frogs

Landscaping is cool. How did you get the moss to grow there? Is that Trapa natans or Ludwigia helminthorriza?
i wouldnt call it moss, its a "red stemmed parrots feather" its called Myriophyllum brasiliensis.

that looks great. how hard is it to build a pond, say, half that size? is it expensive? i would maybe like to start one, but i want to know what i'm getting into first.
the liner only cost $250, besides the plants, i dug it all it was easy.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't think he's talking about the parrot's feather. I think he's referring to the low-growing greenery around the rocks. Is that not moss? If not, what is it? It looks very verdant!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think he's talking about the parrot's feather. I think he's referring to the low-growing greenery around the rocks. Is that not moss? If not, what is it? It looks very verdant!
oh whoops, i had no idea what he was talking about haha, im not sure what it is, ill try and find the name

·
Registered
281 Posts
time to pull out the ole red rider :D. they are sneaky, too. i got home from the ball game the other night and saw two in the garage. when i got out i started to look for em and they went right through my legs without me even noticing. my dad saw them, though so that is how i knew that they got out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I saw a pond with a nice plant filter, The water was pumped out of the pond into a whiskey barrel, and overflow back into the pond.

The barrel was filled with Frogbit which grew to enourmous size than what we see in aquariums. he said the frogbit filtered all the stuff from the pond which had clear water no algae lots of sun I think he said something about nothing tested in the water, which I can't remember what he was testing, just that frogbit used it all up : ))

edit: it was about half the size of your pond

1 - 10 of 10 Posts