The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found these pics in one of my country news, by looking at these pics i guess they really have this type of snake in their planted tanks in South East Asia ...Ewwwww.. I m not gonna get one...

Scientific name: Erpeton tentaculatum Lacepede
Lenght : Not specific.
Locations: Thailand, Campodia, Malaysia, Vietnam.
Poison: Yes ( their venom is not fatal to human. Some people reported feeling really sleepy after getting bitten)

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
They have a wonderful tank of them in Houston and San Antonio. They are actually livebearers and have a successful breeding program going. They were quite cheap and common in the 80's, but death rates were very high and eventually most importers stopped stocking them due to it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have a wonderful tank of them in Houston and San Antonio. They are actually livebearers and have a successful breeding program going. They were quite cheap and common in the 80's, but death rates were very high and eventually most importers stopped stocking them due to it.
+1 Interesting info..

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have some back in the 90s. Very cool. Hardly ever move, most people think they are sticks. But when they eat, don't blink or you will miss it. You have never seen a snake eat faster! Literally from the strike to the fish going down the throat is just a couple of seconds. I think Nat Geo did a write up on them not long ago...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have some back in the 90s. Very cool. Hardly ever move, most people think they are sticks. But when they eat, don't blink or you will miss it. You have never seen a snake eat faster! Literally from the strike to the fish going down the throat is just a couple of seconds. I think Nat Geo did a write up on them not long ago...
Really? How were they to care for and any pics of the setup or details on it? Where'd you get them and, if you don't mind me asking, how much where they each? This is a species I'm very interested in and don't see much of.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Really? How were they to care for and any pics of the setup or details on it? Where'd you get them and, if you don't mind me asking, how much where they each? This is a species I'm very interested in and don't see much of.
It was 15 years ago; sorry I don't have any pics. Mine were free, from a zoo, back when that sort of thing was allowed. I had 7-8 adults that I received as juvies; they bred once before I had to give them up. I gave them all to a famous columnist at Reptiles Mag when I had to move. Care is pretty simple. I kept a breeding group in a 55-gal. The only significant challenge with these guys is their tendency to get skin lesions/infections. I was advised to keep them in low-light high-tannin water with minimal flow, which I did. Some driftwood, lots of oak leaf litter, one very low-wattage bulb at one end of the tank, which was otherwise completely shaded from light. Once in awhile I'd see a little white fuzzy patch on one's skin, but it usually disappeared with the next shed, never overtook them like some other people saw. That said, I have seen them in zoo exhibits with lots of light and flow. So funny when the algae grows right on their skin! Sure do miss those snakes! I don't watch dealer lists like I used to so I have no idea how available they are anymore, but they are certainly still common in zoos, as others noted above. Never that striped morph though, just the other checked one. There are some reports in the literature that they also eat plants, but I opened up a dozen or so wild-caught specimens in museums and found nothing but fish. Let us know if you find any available!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious .. are they aggressive or biting you at all ?
I think its interesting but I m scared of snakes...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just curious .. are they aggressive or biting you at all ?
I think its interesting but I m scared of snakes...
They are the least aggressive snakes I've ever seen. I was never struck at, and I've never known anyone who has ever been struck at (I know a lot of zoo herpers, used to be one), so I found the quote about the venom making you sleepy a little funny. I suppose maybe if they mistook your finger for a fish...but you'd have to be trying!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are the least aggressive snakes I've ever seen. I was never struck at, and I've never known anyone who has ever been struck at (I know a lot of zoo herpers, used to be one), so I found the quote about the venom making you sleepy a little funny. I suppose maybe if they mistook your finger for a fish...but you'd have to be trying!
Well I found that funny too .. I just stated what they said :) but thanks for your inputs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.