The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
last summer we took care of the class snake from my sons classroom at school. she was a 6' 14 year old corn snake and my wife immediately feel in love with "OJ". ever since we had to give her back, my wife has been wanting one bad.

well... she finally found one on craigeslist and we are the proud new owners of a 20" snow corn snake.

i was wondering if anyone could recommend a forum(s) for us so we can make sure we take proper care of our new pet.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Congrats! We have a 21" Rosy Boa (Albino Whitewater). We got it about 9 months ago at 16". Gorgeous snake, very mild mannered though not a lump of clay like a Ball Python.

Enjoy your new snake!
They are pretty snakes. I had a breeding pair of Kenyan Sand Boas along with 4 Ball Pythons, Indian Rock Python, Burmese Python and a Red Tailed Boa. All good snakes but I will have to agree that the Ball Pythons where a lump... I just picked up another Red Tail. Also a good snake. Very mean ATM but I just have to keep handling her and let her bite me until she relaxes and realizes that I won't hurt her.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
thanks so much guys! I'm already learning a lot.
No problem! If you have any questions, just ask. Corns are one of my favorites! Very easy to care for and love being held and out of their enclosures. At least in my experience.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ditto on being open to any snake questions you have. I currently keep 2 ball pythons (boring as everyone has said but they're great with kids and people afraid of snakes), 1 spotted python and 1 carpet python (these guys are handlable but can be a little fussy), 1 variable kingsnake who has a great inquisitive personality, and my personal favorite, my macklott's python. She seems to be the most intelligent of the bunch, shes very tame and likes to cruise around, although she has a CRAZY feeding response, to the point I can't feed her in a separate container because she smells the rats as soon as they come out of the freezer. She's also an arboreal (tree) snake, so shes always out on her branches where I can see her, she very very rarely uses her hide box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
'i think you guys are going to be very happy with your new snake. They are one of the easiest pets to keep, you just need to set up a stable environment with fairly stable temps. They don't eat often (once a week for colubrids, although my older pythons only eat every 3-4 weeks), and BEST OF ALL.... they only poop as often as they eat.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, i do have one question i've been wondering about.

is it wrong to feed live mice? when we were watching the class snake for the summer, we were simply informed to drop in a couple mice in once a week. after some reading it looks like that's a no-no. is that for risk of bacteria?

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, the risk is of injury to the snake. Feeding live is fine, but definitely feed only one at a time, and watch to make sure it gets eaten. If not, remove it after a couple hours or it might stress the snake out or even worse, bite it. I saw a very graphic picture of a ball python left in a box with a mouse overnight, in a thread discussing this issue. The poor thing had almost all of its skin chewed off! It was not a pretty sight. Ive also had a live mouse get struck in such a position that it was able to bite the snake even while being strangled. It may or may not be too much for you, but when I get live feeders, I like to pre-kill and just dangle the dead/dying rodent in front of the snake. I just grab the mouse/rat by the tail and whack their head on a hard surface. It sounds cruel, but its either that or slowly suffocate and possibly injure the snake.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also, it's pretty much inevitable if you're feeding live that you'll eventually get bit by the mouse. WAY worse than getting bit by a snake.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
No, the risk is of injury to the snake. Feeding live is fine, but definitely feed only one at a time, and watch to make sure it gets eaten. If not, remove it after a couple hours or it might stress the snake out or even worse, bite it. I saw a very graphic picture of a ball python left in a box with a mouse overnight, in a thread discussing this issue. The poor thing had almost all of its skin chewed off! It was not a pretty sight. Ive also had a live mouse get struck in such a position that it was able to bite the snake even while being strangled. It may or may not be too much for you, but when I get live feeders, I like to pre-kill and just dangle the dead/dying rodent in front of the snake. I just grab the mouse/rat by the tail and whack their head on a hard surface. It sounds cruel, but its either that or slowly suffocate and possibly injure the snake.
I agree with Python. Once a month, actually is fine. Live is better IMO. Yeah, I feel bad for the mice.... It's nature. We get over it..... The snake has to live, right? Just remember, a mouse bite is worse then a snake bite! :tongue: Feed him/her in a box or a bag. Never feed him in his/her :tongue:tank. You don't want him looking at your hand as food. I'm sure that lesson will come sooner then later..

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks again guys! i can't wait to see my wife smacking those poor little mice. i should make a video lol.

we knew about not feeding in their tank. we have a separate box. although, my son's teacher had his snake trained to be fed in her tank. there was a system in place where we would pat her on her head with a ruler if she was not going to be fed. i guess no one in the last 14yrs has been bitten yet. is that normal?

·
Registered
302 Posts
cool snakes! i found a Anerythristic corn snakes out side of my house last January needless to say it was moving very slowly i felt bad so i caught it and brought it in side and set him up in an old 10g i had with a heating pad underneath the tank he readily takes frozen pinkies that you can get at petsmart or most pet stores. i underestimated how strong it was i couldn't find clips that would fit on my tank and screen top so i had a 2.5lb weight on the top and 2 dome lights one night he got out and disappeared into my apartment for almost 4 months i thought he was gone for good but reappeared one early morning looking hungry so i setup his tank again and put 2 5lb weights on top. great snakes fun to watch and easy to care for good luck with your's!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The first time you get bit by your snake (there will be one) just remember not to pull away as they have recurved teeth which will just sink in further. Usually they'll let go right away when they realize you're not food.

·
Registered
283 Posts
we knew about not feeding in their tank. we have a separate box. although, my son's teacher had his snake trained to be fed in her tank. there was a system in place where we would pat her on her head with a ruler if she was not going to be fed. i guess no one in the last 14yrs has been bitten yet. is that normal?
This is what I do with the macklotts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
cool snakes! i found a Anerythristic corn snakes out side of my house last January needless to say it was moving very slowly i felt bad so i caught it and brought it in side and set him up in an old 10g i had with a heating pad underneath the tank he readily takes frozen pinkies that you can get at petsmart or most pet stores. i underestimated how strong it was i couldn't find clips that would fit on my tank and screen top so i had a 2.5lb weight on the top and 2 dome lights one night he got out and disappeared into my apartment for almost 4 months i thought he was gone for good but reappeared one early morning looking hungry so i setup his tank again and put 2 5lb weights on top. great snakes fun to watch and easy to care for good luck with your's!
Yes, snakes can be great escape artists. Make sure that lid is secure!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts