The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 55gal fully planted tank with marci rainbows
i am currently been over run by the MTS they are everywhere.
I am wondering if "assassin snails" will help keep these MTS under control if not erradicated.

are the MTS responsable for make holes in my plants (anubias, vals, java fern)

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
No, MTS will not eat healthy plant leaves, and will tend to eat only dead and/or decaying material.

If your tank is overrun with snails, it means that they have an abundant food source somewhere (i.e. perhaps you are overfeeding?).

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
i been watching the feeding though i have soo many plants in this tank there is decaying matter yet...my ammonia nitrites nitrates are zero
The MTS are likely feeding on the decaying plant matter.

If you have a heavily planted tank, but have 0 nitrates, it is possible that your plants are using up the nutrients too fast, and as a result, are not doing so well (resulting in the decaying leaves, and thus, an explosion in MTS population).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Loaches are a plan unless you have shrimp or other small organisms that are important.

Assassin snails are great and I would even put a mated pair for the babies make good money.

However, you should feed less cause a snail population explosion is usually caused be a surplus of food.

Cheers,
Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.